dewalt 707 bearing change

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by jimoz, Aug 30, 2018.

1. jimoz

jimoz Screwfix Select

Got a Dewalt 707 mitre saw. Must be coming up for 10 years old now but has served me well and done the job. Caught a bit of timber in it today and am convinced the blade has a slight wobble now. Although I have been convinced of this before then after changing blade the cut has seemed okay. It still cuts fine now - although I have got my 26t blade in (on first fix).

I can't deicide wether to try and change the bearings and/or spindle on this. The bearings don't seem too expensive online but I don't know how hard a job it would be? Im also not sure if this is the problem. Anyone else tried doing this?

Part of me just says to keep this as a first fix saw and buy a brand new bigger saw for 2nd fix and potentially a bit of roofing (bigger cut and better angles). These new battery/mains dealt options look good but expensive!

2. ginger tuffs

ginger tuffs Screwfix Select

cut your losses and buy a new saw you cant beat cordless but they seam to walk to easily dame theifs

3. jimoz

jimoz Screwfix Select

4. jimoz

jimoz Screwfix Select

5. jimoz

jimoz Screwfix Select

To be fair the old dw707 had the same hidden rail mechanism I think. What's the accuracy of the cut like on 9" with the saw at 45deg? i.e. for skirting scribes

6. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

It's a great portable saw that takes up a lot less room than most due to the way the slides are enclosed in the housing. Only thing - and they mention this in the listing - you cannot lock the depth of cut so its difficult/impossible to create half lap joints or similar. I use mine loads - with a freud blade and good extraction there's hardly any dust - older model though, don't know if the dust outlets are the same on the newer ones.
    I had a Metabo - 416KGS I think it was. Nice saw but needed loads of room fore and aft and dust collection was poor.

7. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Sorry Jimoz - I deleted my earlier post to make it a reply which means we're out of sync a little now.
    Mine has been alright but you have to clamp the workpiece down really tight and set up accurate supports left and right to get it acceptable. Unlike some saws it can cut to 48 degrees so you have to be careful when setting your angle as there isn't a stop. It's more useful than not though.

8. jimoz

jimoz Screwfix Select

I'm going to check the cutting capacity on mine as I can't ever remember cutting over 9" without flipping over.

Ditto the 48 deg bevel cut that is useful especially if mitreing some skirting and the corner looks tighter than 90. Again, the current machine has this feature.

Obviously this has a stop for the 45 deg cut on the flat bed?

This debacle has got me thinking now buy this saw use on current job as second fix. Then get new big saw for second fix and occasional big angle cut roofs and keep this for first fix. £££ dunno what's best!

9. jimoz

jimoz Screwfix Select

Are you saying it tries to pull workpiece in if on 45 bevel? I've got leg stand so supporting each end not a prob but wouldn't want it pulling in.

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It won't be the bearing.

jimoz likes this.
  11. jimoz

jimoz Screwfix Select

Spindle?

12. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Replaced my DeWalt saw with a Bosch GCM 12 GDL Mitre saw massive cross cut at 340 mm but whilst it says it is portable of packing that away into a vehicle regularly would be a pain

KIAB likes this.
  13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

It's a real shame that we don't get the smaller Axial Glide model,the Bosch CM10GD 10" here, I reckon it would be very popular.

https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/boschtools-ocs/miter-saws-cm10gd-48431-p/

14. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

It would be a bit easier to man handle than its bigger version but still a lump ! I guess it is the usual trade off between stability and accuracy and portability and weight