DeWalt - don't touch the stuff!

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by rossco_99, Oct 11, 2005.

1. rossco_99

rossco_99 New Member

I have now made the decision not to buy anymore DeWalt gear.

It really has gone down hill, and is no where near the quality of 3/4 years ago.

I have just bought a new Makita cordless drill, and it really is un-comparable with the DeWalt equivalent.
    So much better, yet the same price range.

Their tools do not seem to last. I had an Elu sander for about 15 years. All I did was replace brushes. I bought a new one about 14 months ago, the DeWalt version but same design. It is already broken beyond repair. The internals are no way near as good as they were.

If anyone out there is looking to buy DeWalt, don't.
    Go for Makita or Festool. I think I may even rate the Metabo stuff above DeWalt now.

Rant over!

2. bodget&scarpers

bodget&scarpers New Member

dewalt quality? NEVER LIKED IT.
    still got my old elu batt dril,but now has a dewalt battery . still using a elu sds drill,an the old mof 96 carried on 4 so long(wish i had got the 177e :( ) but died one sad day,got a clone machine 2 replace it ,but***.
    but notice how many other companys try (TRY ) 2 copy the originals ;)

[Edited by: admin12]

3. problem

problem New Member

I have all the 18volt dewalt gear.
    Top stuff!

Passy

4. Hitch.

Hitch. New Member

Dewalt grinders, armatures break up and switches fall off.

5. trustedman

trustedman New Member

I used to be dewalt through and through

I had everything, the lot.

But recently my circular saw caught fire and so did my SDS drill, and now my 14.4V batteries on my drill have given up after 18 months and I think my 12V ones are doing the same. So I am less than impressed at the mo.

I bought a new Makita SDS HR2450, it seems great and I liked the analogy I read the other month about dewalt v makita, comparing them to volkswagen v honda, i.e. your makita might not be as sexy but it will go for ever.

Buying new tools is an expense these days unfortunately, not a pleasure

6. deadonmate

deadonmate New Member

Ah the old Dewalt is C**p ploy. My view on powertools is that cheaper alternatives will do nicely, yes I do have a makita 18v and have bought loads of Dewalt stuff in the past but I have to agree they're definately not as good as the old Elu make they supposedly replaced.

e.g bought the Worx 18v 4 piece set from Argos was on sale earlier this year for £99.99 a bargain or what!!
    That was drill/hammer, circular saw 140mm, Jigsaw, torch.

Only issue was batteries they where 2x18v 1.4ah didn't last too long on the circular, solution screwfix now sell the new erbauer 18v batteries 2.0ah and they're identical to the worx batteries and only £19.99, sorted my son, the kit is funtastic recommend it to all with the Erbauer 18v batteries. Been using it extensively for 8mths but last 2mths with the Erbauer batteries its great.

So Dewalt can kiss my * lol sorry for the expletives ha ha

7. handyman.

handyman. New Member

dc988 18v combi drill, utter utter ***!!

8. Mr Brabus

Mr Brabus New Member

I've only been using Dewalt for a little over 3 years now and I'm unsure whether the quality is still there...

I think they offer a good overall standard but there's too much product diversification. Their range of powertools has exploded over the last couple of years and the product development has lagged

Its like Mercedes they used to make incredible luxury cars, now its all about tapping into every niche market there is to maiximise profit. In doing so corners are cut and build quality drops through the floor.

I'll probably still buy dewalt for the foreseeable future since Makita, Fein, Hitachi and the like are still V. expensive and not as popular for compatibility and spares.

When it comes to cars and tools: The Germans invent and then the Japs improve on it...

9. Boff

Boff New Member

Never liked DeWalt and don't own any of their range. Most of my stuff is Makita and all still works after getting some serious hammer - once sent an impact driver in for repair, got it back a few days later and that's about it.

10. OAKEY COKEY

OAKEY COKEY New Member

I bought a dewalt DW626EK router from rutlands about four months ago. Its been a real workhorse and Ive had no problems with it. I was going to buy the DW708 mitre saw which at £640 inc vat and free stand is a steel but reading your comments I'm not so sure. Woud i be better looking at the electra bekam kgs305? Any help guys?

11. Washboy

Washboy New Member

If you can afford it - Festool - and the japs haven't improved on them yet..

12. Datacom

Datacom New Member

Must agree that Makita are excellent tools, have 2 battery drills and they are both excellent, have got a DeWalt battery drill also but it even sounds like an old cement mixer when running compared to the makita.

The trigger on the DeWalt is cack, not very sensitive and the direction button jams the trigger occasionally.

Bosch professional tools seem good, just bought a GCM 10S and its accuracy after a little post purchase adjustment was spot on.

13. Mof

Mof Guest

I told you so!!

14. panlid

panlid New Member

ive just bought the dewalt nail gun. batteries last as long as it takes to have a good ****. guns ok though.
    wouldnt touch their drills anymore. have a 305 chopsaw thats fine. ive tried allsorts, metabo, senco, dewalt, makita, bosch, festool etc and i tend now to stick to bosch or makita. metabo are even worser than dewalt by the way.

15. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

It's funny I've had a 240v Metabo SDS for years now, it's now been adapted into a right angled drill with a Bosch attachment. Lovely little drill that one.

I guess it must be 10 years old, I reckon if I bought the equivalent model nowadays it would last 6 months!

16. NailBanger

NailBanger New Member

I'm definitely way late for this, but:

I was using a DeWalt DWS535 worm drive saw a month ago and the god damn thing caught fire on me while ripping a 2x10. It lasted me 73 seconds of cutting and then just died on me. It was later determined that the armature developed a short in it. I vowed to never buy another one of their products again after that!! That's when I got a new Skilsaw SPT77WM as a replacement...

17. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I presume you are posting from the USA.

18. NailBanger

NailBanger New Member

Yeah. Why?

19. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

We're in England and can't buy worm drive saws.

20. NailBanger

NailBanger New Member

I've also had a DWS780 go bad and it was in the Dewalt service centre for six months. Then I took it back only to find out that they did not fix it AT ALL.