Dewalt DW703 saw blade

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by d438a1, May 1, 2008.

1. d438a1

d438a1 Member

Hi there,

I have picked up a brand new DW703 mitre saw on ebay for £130 - there are still some available if anyone is interested. If you cant find them, I can email you the post.

Anyway, the question, has anyone got this model, as I am after some information on the quality of the supplied blade? This will be used for renovation of a house I have bought. So use will be general timber work (floorboard, stud work etc), mouldings (skirting, architrave).

Also, are mitre saws suitable for cutting plaster coving?

Lastly, on a random side note. When people fit architrave, is it best to fix each piece individually, or use joiners mate or a similar instant mitre bond and then fix all 3 pieces on at once?

Thanks

2. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Nah,

DeWalt took the DW703 off the market due to dangerous elctrical problems with it catching fire etc.

Looks like to scally has obtained a containler load and is reeling in Ebay Suckers! :O

3. d438a1

d438a1 Member

Haha very funny....

They are readily available on several mainstream internet sites.

4. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Still Toss gear, shoulda bought a Festool, Hilti or Makita! ;)

5. russ295

russ295 New Member

Still Toss gear, shoulda bought a Festool, Hilti or
    Makita! ;)

agree with you on most of dewalt being not a good as what you have mentioned sine, but................. the dw703 is prob the best 10" non slider on the market, i have a dw703 and a dw702 and a makita ls1040(and a few others!), the dw is a million miles better than the makita. i think dw may be bringing a new version out or they have over stocked as they seem to be getting rid of the 240v models cheap but the 110v are still well over £300?

you could buy a blade with a few more teeth (60/80t) for the finer work and use the blade supplied for floor boards etc. dont be tempted to buy a cheap blade.

pva and a panel pin works for me.

russ

6. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

i have a 703, gt it for smaller work blade supplied is ok for kitchen work just let blade stop with it in down position :)

7. d438a1

d438a1 Member

'just let blade stop with it in down position'

What do you mean by that?

Can anyone recommend a decent brand for 60/80 blade?

Thanks

8. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

dont bring the saw arm up with the blade still spinning! cos the blade is a rough cut if youcatch your workpeice on the way up is ouch time! so once through the cut let the blade stop!
    dewalt & freud are about the best, IMO :)

9. d438a1

d438a1 Member

Ah right ok. But with a finer blade, less of a problem?

Did you have any idea about using mitre saw to cut plaster coving? Bad idea?

10. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

Not somthing ive tried, but i know that cving and PB ruins saws(hand), so i would think that coving would probably do the same to a Msaw blade, buy a hand saw and coving mitre! HTH :)

11. Fat Bald Martin

Fat Bald Martin New Member

Hello, I strongly agree, dont try to cut plaster coving on your new mitre saw, it will take the edge off the blade in no time!

However, cutting plaster coving is <u>really</u> easy with a fine tooth handsaw and a coveasy mitre block.

http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;jsessionid=JO1PLRRZDLCFWCSTHZPCFFI?_dyncharset=UTF-8&fhsearch=coveasy&x=6&y=7

I dont think this will work as a clickable link but type "coveasy" into the screwfix search and you will get it.

Any fine tooth hard point hand saw works well with this.

Hope this helps

Martin

12. Fat Bald Martin

Fat Bald Martin New Member