Dewalt DW745 new generation 2016?

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by Shevek, Dec 28, 2015.

1. Shevek

Shevek New Member

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Still available elsewhere & cheaper.:eek:

3. Shevek

Shevek New Member

4. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

is this item not banned on sites? the flip over saw is from what i hear. probably because everyone removes the guard as soon as they get it!

5. Shevek

Shevek New Member

It's a table saw, not a flip over saw.

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Your confusing it with the DeWalt DW743N, which is the flip over saw.

7. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Always thought this was expensive for what it is, although the ones i have looked at have a very solid fence.

8. Shevek

Shevek New Member

It is at the price SF have on their site, but you can get it for £379 from the likes of FFX.

While it's lighter it's not as compact to store away as the Bosch and it doesn't support dado blades or rebating (riving knife isn't adjustable) but it wins hands down with its rack and pinion fence.

Type 1 was replaced in 2012, Type 2 in 2013 and Type 4 in 2014 (the current model), so it's due an update based on this timeline. I'm holding out in the hope that they upgrade it to support dado blades.

9. Shevek

Shevek New Member

Was advised today by Dewalt that the DWE7491 will be the replacement for the DW745 once stock is gone.

I wonder if that'll mean a price drop for the DWE7491 or whether they'll just not be providing a table saw at the sub-£400 end of the market.

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Dado blades aren't allowed in the UK.

11. Shevek

Shevek New Member

As I understand it they're perfectly fine in the UK as long as the saw is designed for them and blade has chip limitation.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You must know better than me then.

13. Shevek

Shevek New Member

14. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Well there you go, as far as I knew it wasn't allowed and I've not seen one in a pro workshop for over 20 years, it could be because the De Walt radial arm saw was a piece of poo.

15. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

In the UK trade machines have a reduced arbour length to prevent them being fitted with a dado cutter. However, cheaper retail machine have no such restrictions. Just one of the quirks of the rules in the UK.

Adjustable dado blades in table saws are not the safest way to cut slots and like most workshop practices require a lot of practice. Sadly people watch Norm Abraham, (whom is a great guy) and won't take it on board how much skill and practice is required to use these safely.

Much better to cut groves using a router

16. Shevek

Shevek New Member

Thanks for clearing up sospan.

17. Shevek

Shevek New Member

I'd be happy if I could just use it to cut the sides of a rebate and then finish off with a router, but the riving knife of the DW745 sits too high.

Think I'm going to buy one anyway.

18. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Make a jig and use a router.

Shevek likes this.
  19. Shevek

Shevek New Member

I think it's time I made a jig for my router :)

20. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

If you really want a radial arm saw look on ebay for an old Wadkin one, they're the dogs danglies.