Dewalt, Festool, Makita Guide Rails ;-)

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by evo nut, Oct 9, 2008.

1. evo nut

evo nut New Member

Alright Chippie's.

I've got the dewalt plunge cut saw an am after a shorter guide rail

i know dewalt do a 1m but I was wondering, given the guide rails are aluminium if i bought a 1.5m do you think i could chop it down with my mitre saw as I have an 80 tooth aluminium blade?

reason being i can get a 1.5m guide rail for £59 or a 1m for £50 so though if i could cut the 1.5m i'd make myself a 900mm and 600mm? or 850mm and a 650mm

any thoughts ? ;)

many thanks

evo nut

2. Bassrock

Bassrock New Member

Mmmm

So you wan't to buy a £59 quid rail and cut it down.

Could you not just buy the aluminiun material and make your own !

Might take a bit of fiddlin, but you may be able to get 4 or 5 rails of different length for price of 1.

Just an idea !!

3. evo nut

evo nut New Member

Bassrock,

Not really mate as it is a extruded section with a box section the saw runs down with a groove underneath and the non slip tape and splinter tape so not really no :(

evo nut

4. Bassrock

Bassrock New Member

Bu**er, never soddin simple, back to plan 1 then.

5. cosworth

cosworth New Member

sounds like a good idea too me evo.

6. evo nut

evo nut New Member

Hi Cosworth,

I can't see why it won't work, a 80 tooth saw blade is an aluminium I stood looking at mine at work today and I can't see why it isn't feesable. ;)

evo nut

7. evo nut

evo nut New Member

Hi Cosworth,

I can't see why it won't work, a 80 tooth saw blade is an aluminium I stood looking at my guide rail at work today and I can't see why it isn't feesable. ;)

evo nut

8. busy builder

busy builder New Member

Apparently when the festool patent expired all the other maufacturers pinched the idea and they now all use the same design so just find the cheapest one. Festool pinched the idea off mafell anyway.
    Also festool are bringing out a new saw and rail soon.

Did you check out the differences in plunge saws ? as some pivot and some (mafell) plunge (like a router) much better action and you know exactly where the blade is going to bite.

9. handymanforhire

handymanforhire New Member

No reason why you shouldn't do it, apart from the obvious; what f*ing use is a 600mm guide rail, lol? Seriously I have the 800mm Festool rail and I wouldn't want anything shorter than that - unless maybe, you're planning to make a some kind of jig to turn it into an impromptu chop saw??

But hey, for the sake of 9 quid and a bit of effort, it might be handy for something. Maybe.

Cheers, Pete

10. evo nut

evo nut New Member

Handymanforhire - Pete ;),

I want a 850mm and the 650mm would be handy for small work like bifold doors, worktop cut outs, basically i really want a 850mm so for ther money think i will invest in a 1.5m and chop it up :)

evo nut

11. handymanforhire

Go for it - and let us know how it works out! I use my 800mm rail a lot, so I'm sure you won't regret having an 850, especially working in, say, a small kitchen.

Cheers, Pete.

12. evo nut

evo nut New Member

Pete,

will let you know how i get on, going to get one in November, its my birthday then! :)

evo nut

13. Porkie

Porkie New Member

should go through easy enough.

I slice through water-trays no trouble atall.....just wear some glasses/goggles

happy days

14. !!

!! Active Member

Must admit I don't have a plunge saw, what are they used for?. I have a makita circ saw and use a shooting board (I have a few) which consists of a piece of 9mm ply with 15mm conti as the straight edge (smoother than ply) which rarley gets used as I have the dewalt radial arm saw as my compound mitre / table saw.

15. handymanforhire

Evo

Dunno where you are in the country, but if you happen to be in or around London, D&M tools have a trade show in Twickenham towards the end of November - usually lots of deals going there, worth a look if you have the time/are near enough.

@ Gonzo. Plunge saw is basically a circular saw that has an accurate depth of cut (very accurate) and can be used for all the things that you'd use a regular circ. saw for, but because it can be plunged into the centre of a workpiece you can use it for a lot of the things you'd normally use a jiggy for e.g. worktop cut-outs for sink, hob etc...

They run on a guide rail so you get a perfect straight cut, ****-easy setup (e.g. no shooting boards - the cut line is the edge of the guide-rail, end of) and FWIW since I got the Festool a couple of years ago, I've hardly used my radial arm saw. Depends what you do mostly, I guess, but the 'plunging' part wasn't the main reason for me buying it- though it's proved to be incredibly useful.

Cheers, Pete

16. evo nut

evo nut New Member

Alright Pete,

D&M @ Kempton Park its already in my diary :);-);-):);-);-):):) I go every year its a good tool show that one;-)

So as you say I will probably pick one up there but being a impaitiant I will probably get one sooner!!! ;)

I also go to the Alexandra Palace one as well well basically i go to all the ones I can!!!!

Do you visit the kempton park tool show then?

evo nut

17. cosworth

cosworth New Member

gonzo, i used to wonder what the hype was about the plunge saw. i read of ppl saying they never use their table saws any more and other stuff hyping it up.
    but when you use one the hype is true. my table saw hasnt been used since my work mate bought his.neither has my dewalt circ saw. the time its saved and the quality of cut has paid for itself in no time. clean cuts both sides was the only reason he bought it for when cutting down end panels but its proved usefull for so much more. totally in love with it.

18. handymanforhire

Haven't been to Kempton for a couple of years (too busy!) but planning to get along this year on the Friday as there's a few odds and ends I want to take a look at - and there's always good deals on stuff like clamps, which are always handy.

Maybe we should have a Screwfix meetup, lol!

Cheers, Pete

19. !!

!! Active Member

Thanks for that, they do sound pretty handy.

I tend not to do many kitchens (3 this year), I do more bedrooms flooring, doors etc.

I am going to start thumbing through all the catalogues now.

20. evo nut

evo nut New Member

Hi Pete,

You ever been to a trade counter opening day?

I have been to two and when you go and spend £50 + you get a free t shirt with screwfix written on it so if you've got one wear it and see if i bump into you!!!!!!!:);-);-):):);-):)

but I will probably go on Saturday! too busy to go during the week!!

evo nut