Dewalt, Festool, Makita Guide Rails ;-)

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by evo nut, Oct 9, 2008.

1. chip off the block

chip off the block New Member

gonz they are very useful for choping doors down. i do alot of fire doors and i use it to cut to width and put a 2degree leading edge o in 1 go. Quick sand and its done(i would sand if i had planed it aswell)

2. handymanforhire

handymanforhire New Member

I do a lot of under-stairs cabinets, and being able to cut an accurate bevel without manhandling big lumps of ply and MDf is worth it's weight to me. Use mine to trim doors as well; almost no finishing required.

@ evo-nut; no never been to a SFX trade counter opening, so I've missed out on the Screwfix t-shirt! Friday's usually the trade day at Kempton - must be busy on a Saturday, with all those keen hobbyists!

Cheers, Pete.

3. evo nut

evo nut New Member

Hey Pete,

You don't know what your missing out on having never been to a trade opening day.

you do get a lot of hobbyists milling around but friday is a working day for me so I go saturdays instead, thought about going on sunday to get a deal but all those sunday drivers would drive me nuts before i got there and met the hobbists!!!;-)

evo nut

4. evo nut

evo nut New Member

i also agree with chip off the block.

i had 7 fire doors to hang with serious out of level heads etc.. and it paid for itself that job alone.

I also use mine and join two rails together to rip mdf and doors down to size as well

well worth the investment gonz ;)

evo nut

5. !!

!! New Member

Right I'm going to buy one now and I blame you all for my pending Festool addiction ;)

6. evo nut

evo nut New Member

gonzo,

don't just decide to go for the festool the dewalt one and makita are alos goods

i can highly recommend the dewalt 28 volt cordless one it is brilliant

evo nut

7. evo nut

evo nut New Member

continued from ^^^^^^

what i should have also said is look around at all the plunge cut models, festool, dewalt, makita and see which one you like the best, just because festool were first doesn't mean they are the best, imo ;)

also someone pointed out festool are bringing out a new one soon

evo nut

8. !!

!! New Member

I have to buy festool to hide my makita fetish, although I have just found a makita 3m guide rail

9. evo nut

evo nut New Member

gonzo,

ha ha I have a dewalt fetish in that case!!!;-):);-):)

a 3m guide rail is ok if you have a workshop to keep it in all the time

thats why i got two 1.5m and a jointing bar, so you can fit them in the van!!!;-)

evo nut

10. chip off the block

festool do a 5m guide rail

11. evo nut

evo nut New Member

chip,

do you recon it would arrive straight?, my experience of couriers, it'll be bent. ;)

evo nut

12. chip off the block

it would be delivered with german efficiency

13. evo nut

evo nut New Member

ha ha very good,

it may well be but the parcelforce would get hold of it;-(

14. !!

!! New Member

I didn't know you could join them, this place is very educational.

I'll need a saw that can cut a mitred to floor worktop as everone one wants it these days, is there one capable of 56.56mm at 45*

15. !!

!! New Member

just picked one *

anyone jealous

[Edited by: admin6]

16. chip off the block

after looking at 1 today i would go with the hilti at £280 + cost of rail(£60) and vat on top. can be used as normal circular and has a very good plunge action. It will cut 85mm at 90degrees

17. handymanforhire

Looks like a bit of a beast, that Mafell KSP85F from the shop in Twickenham...

60* bevel will come in handy, I'm sure. Wonder what the dust extraction's like? I had a play with a Maffell (the one with the flexi guide rail) a few years ago, before I bought my Festool, and they're a well made piece of kit.

FWIW the Festool TS75 (210mm blade) will cut 54mm at 45* - close, but no sale I guess... ;)

Cheers, Pete.

18. evo nut

evo nut New Member

Pete,

don't know if you noticed but the proper chippy at kempton park had chopped his rails down to all sorts of sizes.

was going to get a 1.5m there but they want £20 more than ITS London so i'm going to get one next week if i have time

At least i know someone else has done it and it isn't such a mad cap idea!!;-)

evo nut

19. handymanforhire

Yes, I clocked that as well! He had a titchy 450mm rail or something like that, that he used for a mitre-jig - so not such a crazy idea at all!

Decent guy too - wish I'd thought to ask him where he had the decals put on his rails - nice!

Cheers, Pete

20. evo nut

evo nut New Member

Pete,

it was his brother, who was a sign writer;-)

evo nut