Dewalt, Festool, Makita Guide Rails ;-)

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by evo nut, Oct 9, 2008.

1. scraper

scraper New Member

Hi guys,
    I too went to the D&M show yesturday, had the Makita plunge saw in mind, but after having a play with both, found the Dewalt far better & the same price, so brought one,also thought the guy demonstarating the Dewalt was very good.
    Regarding the longer rails, brought the 2.6m rail & it comes packed in an MDF box, so if buying one off the internet it should arrive in pretty good nick.

2. cosworth

cosworth New Member

scraper... dont brake my heart now! ive ordered the makita one with 2 rails for £299 so im hoping your not going to tell me they matched this on the dewalt at the show are you???? would have loved the dewalt but price was no where close on the net.

3. scraper

scraper New Member

I paid £270 for the saw+1.5m rail & bag, £90 for the 2.6m rail, & got some goodies thrown in!
    The thing I didn't like about the makita was you couldn't attach the right angled clamp or router adapter, but the machine itself wasn't too bad, I'm sure it will be up to the job!
    They didn't have any 110v versions left so have to wait for it to be delivered next week, will let you know how I get on with it.

4. evo nut

evo nut New Member

hi scaper,

are you saying that where the dewalt chippy bloke was demoing at kempton part the mdf behing him standing sgainst the wall actually had a guide rail in it.

becasue if it did that is very clever way of delivering it

so can you keep in the the mdf box or is it just for delivery purposes?

evo nut

5. scraper

scraper New Member

Yes Evo, The rail was in the MDF, haven't opened it yet but its just stapled together so, I guess you could replace with screws and re-use.
    I like the Idea the demo guy had of cutting ply to protect the rails in the bag.

6. evo nut

evo nut New Member

Hi Scaper,

cool thats interesting might consider getting a 2.6m then

as for the ply in the bags i did that as soon as i bought it as i could see straight away the problem witht the splinterguards.

mainly though so they don't get bent!!

evo nut

7. Sheepdisease

Sheepdisease Member

I realise that this is an old thread. I'm hoping that it is still relevant.

I notice that you said that Makita and Dewalt are compatible. I have two Dewalt DWS5022 1.5 Metre Guide Rails for my Dewalt Plunge Saw and in the images for the Makita rail, the metal connecting the saw with the rail is on the side, whereas with mine it is in the middle.

So you can't just connect a Makita rail with a Dewalt rail. Can you really use the Makita rail with a Dewalt plunge saw?

8. Sheepdisease

Sheepdisease Member

Hello Hugh, thanks for your reply. I am sure that your suggestion was helpful, though I could not understand how or in what way that related to what I said.

Do you have pictures to demonstrate what you mean? Does anyone else know the answer to my question?