Dewalt Mitre Saw - 708

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by LadyBoss, May 26, 2010.

1. LadyBoss

LadyBoss Member

Other half has just said "brushes flew out and motor knacked". Have checked websites and you can only buy parts rather than complete motor. Anyone have any thoughts on what else it could be before I buy millions of wee bits..?

2. ian anderson

ian anderson New Member

Hi 'boss'
    Kinda need more info really!

The brushes flew out you say? Interesting!

As you know, this model is, I hesitate to say 'obsolete' now and thus you may find cheapies around to cannibalize for parts. Google again!

One has to weigh up time spent sourcing parts and rebuilding, plus the cost of any new parts and set that against biting the bullet and looking for something new and shiny!

Always sad when an old workhorse gives up the ghost and I have certainly been guilty of spending good money to 'restore' machines that really should have been retired!

Having said that, these saws are remarkably robust and I would always suggest that you attack it with a screwdriver first and have a look inside, if it is all smashed up, there is nothing lost but if it doesn't look too bad......

Let me know if you need any specific help.....

Ian
    --------------------------------
    Most days you can find me pottering about at polishing peanuts
    Where I 'work' on Flip Over Saw Stuff, amongst other things.
    Come on in, I'll go and put the kettle on......

3. big all

big all Screwfix Select

4. ian anderson

ian anderson New Member

Miles is a really good company too.

Also, there are lots of exploded drawings on their site to use when you take your to bits to see what it is 'supposed' to look like!!

5. two by one

two by one New Member

I spent £90 repairing mine, then something else went. As you can often get deals on the modern equivalent around £200+ I would consider that.

6. LadyBoss

LadyBoss Member

I have asked him to take it to pieces to see if we can identify what needs replaced. Will check tinternet to see if we could get one for spares. Failing that, I might get him a new one for Christmas, although he IS rather attached to the broken one. You guys...

7. ian anderson

ian anderson New Member

He he!

It's the old axe story isn't it, three new shafts and two new heads but still the same good old axe!

Don't forget a friendly call to the local tool supplier/repairer/tool hire place who may have a few dead machines about....