Dewalt plunge saw

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by mikejoiner, Sep 1, 2009.

1. evo nut

evo nut New Member

tocordornottocord? ( you still haven't changed that have you!!!!!! )

i saw that mate and considered it but will just make do with my one for the time being!!!

Hows things mate?

evo nut

2. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

BUSY busy busy, hows the flooring trade?

3. evo nut

evo nut New Member

bl@@dy hell you confused me then.

flooring nah thats audi evo,

i'm doing okay thanks still working for the same firm working on pubs!

evo nut

4. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

so it is! sorry bout that! think the new name suits me better at the moment! ;)

5. evo nut

evo nut New Member

stop changing it lol!!!!

don't work too hard!

6. wuddy

wuddy Member

i decided to go for the 28v in the end as i would rather have too much power than not enough there is not much in it weight wise and when i looked at the 28v drill its size and weight is almost identical to my current makita mxt 18v drill so it wont be too big and heavy for what i need

2 issues with the saw, when i cut the rubber at the start of the rail it cut slightly too much as the back end of the saw was not in the track, only a fraction of a mm but slightly annoying

the other issue is the depth gauge needs to be set a couple of mm deeper than the actual depth of the cut, does anyone know if this can be adjusted?

7. big all

big all Screwfix Select

the problem with the gauge could be easily solved
    have the indicator on top so its visible easier and have the pointer with the 2 edges set the same thickness as the track so when its on the track you look at the back mark or off the track the front mark

and no i dont think you can adjust it as its more off a guide so +or-1mm isnt important

big all

8. wuddy

wuddy Member

problem solved

remove the metal cover on the side of the blade and there is four tiny torx screws, loosen and the gauge will move up and down to zero it in

9. big all

big all Screwfix Select

nice one kevsid thanks for letting us know ;)

big all

10. wuddy

wuddy Member

@ mikejoiner

did you resolve the issues with your saw?
    i bought mine last week and the charge in the battery's didnt seem to last long also the power faded like ni-mh battery's, all my other li-ion tools cut out when the power drops
    also the saw seems a bit slow and gutless, ive been using a bosch 36v saw for a few years so maybe im just used to how powerful that is

bosch runs @ 4000rpm
    dewalt runs @ 3500rpm

would it seem that much slower?

ive just put the battery on charge for a 24 hour charge to see if that helps but ive never had to do it before with any other tools

11. JarraMag

JarraMag New Member

From what i've read in the past with batteries. The 1st charge determines the powere and life of a battery. So make sure its fully charged before you 1st use it. Also the battery power will increase in time aswell...

So I read anyways lol...

12. mikejoiner

mikejoiner Member

Hello Kevsid,
    I did the 24 hour charge on both batteries but it still cuts out now and then.I am taking the batteries back to the shop to change for new ones. If that doesn`t work i will just have to put up with it.
    As for the power, the only battery snorter i have used is an 18v dewalt so the 28v is better for me .
    Mikejoiner.

13. wuddy

wuddy Member

are they cutting out gradual like a battery fading or just instantly stopping?
    if they are instantly stopping that is normal for li-ion batterys, i have a drill and a saw that both do it when they are getting low, its an in build protection to stop the batterys getting too low as it damages them
    if they are doing that when the batterys are fully charged then you may have faulty batterys but its a bit of a coincidence that both are faulty so i would suspect it is more likely to be something wrong in the saw ( maybe a loose connection)
    my batterys seem o be running down like traditional batterys not cutting out like li-ion should do and dont seem that powerful when charged

14. mikejoiner

mikejoiner Member

they go flat gradually like a normal battery.i will keep you posted when i get them changed .

15. wuddy

wuddy Member

i have just charged mine overnight then took to a 2'3" panel fire door with it. it managed 13 cuts before the battery wound down to a halt so thats about 29', i would have expected more, it didnt really seem very powerful from the off :(

16. southbigmouth

southbigmouth New Member

hi newbie here, recently purchased a 18VOLT COMBI DRILL AND IMPACT DRIVER which come with 2 x 2.0 li-on batteries and 1 x 2.6ah ni-mh battery, decided i would add to this kit and managed to pick up a bare plunge saw for 100 quid! So i am looking for a case to house the saw, what do you guys use/ does anyone know where i can get a proper dewalt case for this saw on the cheap? I also need to pick up some guides too but they seem cheapest on here so got that sorted, and on the look out for some extra batterys if anyone knows where is best to get these would be appreciated, Cheers.

17. wuddy

wuddy Member

mine came with a case but while i was in the shop i saw a 20" dewalt bag for £15 and bought that aswell
    i dont like to use drill cases as you just end up having to carry a mountain of them, i prefer bags as you can get quite a few tools in although you dont have as much protection

if you really wanted a box you could perhaps try ebay

18. mikejoiner

mikejoiner Member

I got a whole new replacement saw kit but after 24hr charges the same problem with the cutting out happend on the first day. took it back to shop again and they sent it off to dewalt and now they have told me it is the batteries that are wrong. Dewalt have said that the batteries are the 60 degree type and because there is a lot of strain on them and heating up because of the way the saw works that the batteries should have been the 80 degree type. BS if you ask me. 2 mins out the box on a cold morning and it does it.Still i will give it a try but if it does it again i will ask to swap it for the 110V version.

19. Guest

anybody got the makita plunge 240v saw is it any good

20. north east no.1

north east no.1 New Member

iv'e got the festtool ts 55 , cracking bit of kit , expensive though