Dewalt vs Ryobi vs Bosch

Discussion in 'Screwfix' started by Minotaur, Jan 15, 2007.

1. Minotaur

Minotaur New Member

I am planning on purchasing a good SDS+ drill(Corded)
    Wondered what peoples opinion is towards different makes ?
    Which make should I go for ? or are they pretty much the same?

2. depends on how much you wanna spend.

3. ToolHead

ToolHead New Member

Pretty much ya gets what ya pays for.

Ask youself ewhat you'll be using it for. Occassional or DIY type use then Bosch green or Ryobi (mind you, I'm not sure if Bosch do any SDS stuff in their green range). Everyday, heavy duty pro type use then go for Dewalt or Bosch blue - although many are saying that dewalt aren't as good these days as they used to be.

4. London

London New Member

I have used the lot and IMHO the best all round is the Bosch Blue range. Bosch still have that touch of German Engineering class.

That said there are always dogs in a manufacturer's range that don't live up to expectations.

There are also higher quality "pureist" tools that could be argued are better but once you've had a few tools nicked - you tend to focus on functionality and not colours.

5. kimble

kimble New Member

Before you think about buying any Bosch green be aware that if you use it on site (and the state of it would probably give it away) your warranty is void according to bosch T&C

6. boring git

boring git New Member

In the past i have had Dewalt and Bosch both excellent the Dewalt got nicked and the Bosch finally gave up after 2 years.
    Find your nearest Silver Line stockist, they do one for about £42 + VAT which you'll find is good value it does the job as good as any.

7. Stuart281075

Stuart281075 New Member

I think that Bosch are the best, As think you will find that Bosch were the company that made the first SDS drill in about 1974 the all the other companies just copied it

8. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

the dewalt 2kg is sometimes on offer from our hosts for less than the bosch green

9. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

10. MrMikey

MrMikey New Member

11. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

German or Japanese is best ( Bosch, Makita, Metabo, Ryobi ) Dewalt is just Black & Decker under another name.

12. skarobska

skarobska New Member

I think it was actually 1977.

13. loxsmith

loxsmith New Member

I hear makita and dewalt produce quality tools , iv,e never had to put them to the test as my Bosch has served me well for the last nineteen years , also bought a bosch PSR 960 drill driver three years ago with one 9.65 volt battery ,abused daily ,still as good as new ,battery still holds charge ,about to add yet another bosch 24volt cordless to my collection , i find german products have the edge ,same with garden machinery stihl can,t be touched they last for years and years althought i bought a makita cordless branch pruner six years ago , even left it out in the rain ,never sharpened the blade ,still cuts through wood like butter . I think relistically if any tool serves you well for more than three years its a bonus .

14. loxsmith

loxsmith New Member

p.s ..A guy i work with who rates Makita has recently being coverted to Ryobi after using a Ryobi 18volt cordless drill ,some say their latest range is red hot and much more competitive , dont forget to buy decent drill bits either after splashing out on a new drill they make yours and the drills life easier adding to its longevity ..

15. Refurb Bob

Refurb Bob New Member

I have a fair amount of Dewalt stuff and its served me well. Also have Makita jigsaws and routers which are top notch. My older Bosch drill driver has died so as a quick replacement I've just got the 18v Makita thats on offer on here for 99 squid. Its reaffirmed my belief that Makita has the edge on quality.
    Ryobi stuff? - My mate replaced his stolen gear with Ryobi as they're cheaper. 2 weeks later he's gone back to a mix of Makita and Dewalt and the Ryobi stuff has been given to his dad (apart from the drill that he through into a skip from the top of some scaffolding!)

1st choice Makita, 2nd choice Dewalt for me.

Bob

16. Refurb Bob

Refurb Bob New Member

Meant to say, as your OP was about a corded SDS . . .

I have 2 Dewalt SDS corded drills and am very happy with them!

Bob

17. GADGET^

GADGET^ New Member