Did I quote too much?

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Jon goodhall, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Jon goodhall

Jon goodhall New Member

Hi all,
    Just lost a job I priced on outskirts of London. Previously I tiled a big bathroom of theirs so was happy to keep the quote keen as its in pound notes and possibility of more work there. It was 19m2 walls, ceramic(roughly 25x40cm)with a border. 3m2 porcelain 60x30 on floor. I charged £700, worked out materials and fuel (30 mile round trip every day) would be around £120, But was happy to earn on this instance about £130 a day as I've done previous work. The builder said they weren't happy with price and would look elsewhere. Not that it makes any real difference but the husband works in finance in London, have a million pound house in 2 acres and 3 very expensive cars between them, But didn't think I was worth £130 a day? Don't mind losing jobs here and there but personally think they were taking the @#ss! What do you think?

2. Isitreally

Isitreally Well-Known Member

You were too cheap in real terms.
    How much did the builder stick on for his cut.? Pushing you out of the equation. :rolleyes:

3. Jon goodhall

Jon goodhall New Member

He didn't put anything on for himself, It was a family friend of his so he passed on my price direct to them. Normally I wouldn't go as cheap but I thought I was doing them a favour as I've done work there previously, But obviously they thought they could take liberties and wanted someone to do it for £80/day!

4. fillyboy

fillyboy Well-Known Member

The race to the bottom is over, walk away. They might well get it done cheaper but will probably end up regretting it. That's the going rate in Cornwall which is traditionally 25% cheaper than London.

Jord86 and KIAB like this.
  5. Astramax

Astramax Well-Known Member

Reads like it's the first job you have ever lost, happens all the time, best to remember that people with money only like spending it on themselves. ;)

Jord86, facilities and KIAB like this.
  6. Jon goodhall

Jon goodhall New Member

Thanks all for your replies, Just annoys me when people expect you (a qualified experienced tradesman) to work for labourers wages!

Jord86 likes this.
  7. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

More common today, but it's more annoying when a customer comes crawling back to you, asking you to sort out the mess from the last cowboy...

Walk away fast.:)

8. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Well-Known Member

I used to take offence at losing a job to someone cheaper, now i dont care if someone puts price over quality of work then thats their downfall

Dr Bodgit and KIAB like this.
  9. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Well-Known Member

There's a reason he's loaded with money, hates spending it on anything but his favourite toys.

I have a "mate" who's loaded, he's one of the stingiest people I know. Doesn't share anything, very selfish.

10. facilities

facilities Well-Known Member

If I invite a quote for work at my home I would never pick the cheapest, all I ask is that it is quality workmanship at a fair price,

I do realise if it’s a tiny job say 1/2 day you will pay a premium for it which is fair enough

Dr Bodgit and KIAB like this.
  11. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Well-Known Member

Exactly, I look for value, not price.

facilities and KIAB like this.
  12. Jord86

Jord86 Well-Known Member

Far too cheap mate. Fxxk em', they wanted you to slog like a navvy for a pittance. Hopefully whoever does the job eventually will give them the finish they deserve.

KIAB likes this.
  13. PhilSo

PhilSo Active Member

How many days did you anticipate working?
    PhilSo

14. Astramax

Just 4 days as I collect my doll money on a Thursday.

fillyboy and PhilSo like this.
  15. PhilSo

PhilSo Active Member

Nailed it
    PhilSo

Astramax likes this.
  16. Astramax

I'm sorry but I couldn't resist.:D

PhilSo likes this.
  17. Heat

Heat Active Member

Crikey, that labour charge quote is cheap even where I am!
    Don't worry about a greedy scumbag of a customer like that, - you probably dodged a bullet as they are obvious money focused and would sting you if ever anything happened.
    One thing I would like to ask a customer like that is what they think I should earn per hour before business expenses are added. If they have the cheek to say £10 per hour, then I would tell them my fuel and other van costs, tools, travel time, holiday pay, business insurance, profit needed on top of wage and finally tax.
    If they disagree, then refer to their type of work and their wages and what the estimated real cost of them in employment is.

Jord86 likes this.