Die Lorelei 2017

Discussion in 'Project Photos' started by Dr Bodgit, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Two main projects this year (a) the bathroom (b) the garden including the man cave. Some photos below showing work to date and I'll update as the year progresses.

All this with some cycling to be done, as off on hols in June to Mont Ventoux and climbing that wee hill a few times. This is what I do to relax! This is my custom made bike, made from Reynolds 953 tubing, a maraging stainless steel and TIG welded.

[​IMG]

CGN and Deleted member 33931 like this.
  2. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

So the bathroom...had the internal wall between toilet and bathroom knocked down, and fitted a Magnaclean over the Easter hols. Still got the cleaning stuff in the pipes, so this weekend must flush it all out and put in the inhibitor.

Loo before

[​IMG]

Bathroom before

[​IMG]

Knocked through (protecting those new uPVC windows)

[​IMG]

Some stud work, will hardiebacker board on the bathroom side in due course.

[​IMG]

3. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Magnaclean going in, found a spot on the return. Its not 100% straight due to the fittings being slightly offset. Had to move the cold mains feed as there wasn't quite enough room to squeeze it in below. A bit of a ball ache all round actually. 10 minute job...my ar$e.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

The back garden, starting at the beginning, just trees and shrubs taken out. You might have seen the rear fence photos already which was after this (obviously)

[​IMG]

Shed base ready to go in, 6x4 only with a DPM. Borrowed a mixer...glad I did!

[​IMG]

Hired a man and his digger on Good Friday, hit some big tree roots which ate his digger...well blew a pipe anyways so we had to postpone

[​IMG]

On the same day, the canal re-opened having been drained for maintenance work over the winter. A few narrow boats went through which was nice to see (right behind the garden).

[​IMG]

You can see here the shed slab laid towards to back, and have dug out (with the help of my digger man, by hand) footings for the man cave.

[​IMG]

The log cabin is 3.5m x 5.5m, with 20 'pads' in a 5 x 4 arrangement that will support a wooden sub frame on [short] legs to level it.

[​IMG]

Have put some hardcore from the wall that was taken out into the bottom of each and whacked it down. Will add the rest this weekend once I've worked out all the levels. Will order 2 tonnes of ballast for this weekend as concrete to go into the based of each (100mm), then they'll be a bedding mix with a 450x450 paving slab on top.

[​IMG]

Jitender likes this.
  5. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Your garden is absolutely idyllic Dr Bodge

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  6. Looking forward to seeing this thread progress :)

7. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Very very nice - I can just imagine sitting in that garden on a summers eve, with a nice cold Budweiser.

8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Glad you cut the ivy on the trees, some trees near me that are covered in the stuff, especially the the council owned ones.

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  9. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

JP - while it looks nice, I fear that sitting out on a Summers evening will entail being eaten alive by midges. Oh, and it'll be a Stella not some watery Budweiser beer ;). Having said that, I don't appear to have been bitten at all last Sunday when I was out there all day with millions of midges around but I was bitten when out there for a couple of hours one evening. Doesn't seem to be much logic to it.

Shed arrives May 11th (erected by them), log cabin arrives 28th June so that'll be an August build I reckon.

This is what it looked like when I moved in over a year ago, the log cabin is going behind where the green house was

[​IMG]

10. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Delivery!

[​IMG]

Ordered 2 x all in ballast for the footings, 1 x sharp sand for bedding the slabs, and 1 x 20mm gravel to blind on the earth underneath the cabin (on top of good weed membrane). WSS made a mistake and shipped me 2 bags, their fault and the guy had to offload it as he was going to pick up a loose load. Should keep me busy over the weekend!

11. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Seems like a lot of work.

I still need to get back on the loft project, not lost interest :oops:

Thinking of getting a bike, need a break from this DIY stuff.

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  12. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Broke up all the remaining rubble left over from the wall taken out and tamped it down into the 20 holes. Added a sheet of chicken wire for reinforcement then filled each hole with concrete to make the pads. 14 mixes, over a tonne of ballast and 7 bags of cement later, I have the 20 pads done. Next job is bedding mix (sharp sand & cement) and cheapo Wickes 450x450 paving slabs on top.

The stakes in the middle are level with the highest point of ground towards the back. I will try and put the floor about 50mm below this.

[​IMG]

13. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Five more mixer loads of sharp sand/cement for bedding the 20 slabs down, reading for the sub-frame now. I don't think its going to go anywhere!

And then on the Sabbath I relaxed, but doing a hilly 95 mile cycle Sportive :eek:

[​IMG]

KIAB and Deleted member 33931 like this.
  14. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Mini man cave arrived today, they put it together quite nicely.

On top of the concrete base are 100mm x 100mm treated timbers with DPC above and below (since I have a long roll of it)

[​IMG]

15. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Laid good quality weed control membrane down (from SF) and a tonne bag of 20mm gravel shingle blinded over the top. Was going to cut out to expose the slabs underneath but don't see why I can't put the sub-frame legs directly on it (on DPC).

[​IMG]

20 sleepers arrived today to build the stream banks, that'll be done in 2 weeks time. Will need more but once these are down I'll know exactly how many. They are "tram" sleepers, treated hardwood, 250mm x 150mm x 2.2m.

[​IMG]

16. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Couple more jobs over the weekend, eventually got round to flushing out the c/h system having had x800 in there for several weeks (I did check how long this can be left in, this newer version can be left in indefinitely). Thanks to DA for some hints on how to do this quickly and easily, fitted the adapters where the Magnaclean goes and to that, two lengths of hose. One to the outside tap, the other empties into the bath. Took quite some time to fully flush everything until it was clear (one rad at a time). Also replaced the flexible filling loop/hose as this one was leaking on the c/h side.

[​IMG]

Started work on the log cabin sub-frame, 4"x2"s cut to length and screwed at the corners using coach bolts, not easy when the timbers have twisted a bit. On temporary legs while I make the corner legs out of 6" x 6" posts. These perimeter timbers will be doubled up, but not until I have the cabin delivered and confirm the precise size. For the time being, this is sufficient to allow me to make the "legs".

[​IMG]

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  17. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

All looking good Dr Bodge

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  18. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Started the dwarf retaining walls along the stream using Tram sleepers, with help from my "Handyman" Nigel. The first 20 sleepers are in, 3 will be used as a bridge and can be moved over the coming days until I'm sure where they need to go. Then another 12 sleepers needed to finish - one row on the far wall and two rows on the near wall so that the ground can be back filled and the garden will be pretty flat. Despite being told the sleepers were hardwood, they are softwood but should last quite some time.

Construction is:
    - 4" concrete comprising 6 ballast:4 sharp sand:1/2 bag cement (I had sharp sand spare so used it)
    - bottom row of sleepers drilled 12mm, then 750mm long 10mm dia rebar knocked through, 24 in all (3 per full sleeper)
    - adjacent sleepers screwed with 3 1/2" No.10
    - TimbaScrews 6.7 x 200mm used to screw down each row to sleepers below

A work in progress (that's Nigel)
    [​IMG]

Pegs and shuttering will be removed at the weekend
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

The man cave has arrived!! About 2.5 tonnes in weight apparently.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]