Die Lorelei 2017

Discussion in 'Project Photos' started by Dr Bodgit, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Well-Known Member

Indeed you've posted that link before...I prefer something non-permanent, just seen video on how to seal basins using plumbers mait and my error was not putting on enough to seal between the nut and threads. £2 Waste kit and properly applied plumbers mait should sort it.

2. Dr Bodgit

Found another bloomin leak last night...first end feed coupling on the hot flow from the shower pump. Had been dripping slowly, onto the airing cupboard floor and also onto the towel radiator pipe that goes through the wall to the bathroom and then making the bathroom wall wet. Same issues as before - back of fitting hadn't been heated fully so solder hadn't taken, but is barely visible.

So that's 3 leaks in all, none of which were my doing! At least I found it early evening so was all finished making good by around 10.30, not 2am as was the case before.

Lets hope there aren't any more leaks :mad: Basin is also fixed with a basin waste kit from SF. Now need to replace the cistern inlet valve which doesn't completely stop filling (possibly as I bug-gered it with pliers).

3. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

:eek::eek:

4. Dr Bodgit

Yeh that's what happens when you get a professional in. To be balanced, he did first fix without any chance of properly testing it and these leaks only came to light when I started using the bathroom with hot water going through the pipes and melting flux residue. I dry pressure tested the hot to only around 0.8 bar, cold was up to 3 bar (as there's no large container like the cylinder to pressurise and going off like a bomb). I do wonder a little if there are other potential leaks that might come to light some weeks down the road...on the plus side, nothing is going to be tiled/sealed in for ages yet.

5. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

I must be doing something wrong,leaks is something I don't get when soldering.:(

6. Dr Bodgit

Me neither, but I don't have so much faith in my own ability so I always check with a mirror to ensure joint looks good and reheat if necessary...might not be the neatest but this way I don't get leaks! Pros are doing it all day so think they are good at it, get complacent and don't heat joints fully/check.

Much easier with the adjustable flame torch now, pipe doesn't overheat, just wait until solder flows, leave heat on for another second or so, jobby jobbed.

KIAB likes this.
  7. Dr Bodgit

Well that's the mirror installed...demister takes a while to have an effect, need to turn it on before taking a bath. Two pin toothbrush plug was difficult to push in too (is bottom right side), guess its gonna have to stay plugged in.

Neighbours didn't appreciate me tapping the rawlplugs home at around 9:30 in the evening as they were banging on the wall...sod 'em! Was woken up by their yapping dogs at gawd knows what hour this morning.

[​IMG]

Jord86 and snappyfish like this.
  8. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

Progress :) Nothing worse than yapping dogs and I have a dog, but mines the type that rarely barks and would let a burglar kill me for a sausage.

Dr Bodgit likes this.