Diesel

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by My Home Farm, Oct 9, 2019 at 8:48 AM.

1. My Home Farm

My Home Farm Member

The most convenient place for us to fill up our car is at Tesco, and we've been doing this for quite some time now. We were recently speaking to a friend who said that their mechanic advised them against using filling up their car with Tesco diesel because it's "dirty" and damages your engine in the long run.

Is there any truth to this?

2. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Well-Known Member

Based on the amount of cars that use supermarket fuel, I doubt it makes much difference. I do understand there is a little less in the way of cleaners in the fuel, but it will all have to meet a specific grade. Anyway when was the last time your fuel filter was blocked with all the dirt and had to be replaced before its time?
    Over the last few years I've done probably 100k miles almost completely using Tesco diesel and I've not had any failures

Spudgun likes this.
  3. My Home Farm

My Home Farm Member

Good point - nothing's been flagged at our services and I've been filling up with Tesco for a year now. Thanks for that.

4. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Active Member

I stick some Millers 'Ecomax' diesel additive in at every fill up (cheapest in bulk from Opie Oils incidentally). That keeps my mind at rest and I buy diesel from anywhere I'm near, including all the supermarkets.

5. ajohn

ajohn Well-Known Member

Sounds like a load of **** to me but aren't there 2 grades of diesel available. :) Not sure, I go for the cheapest so my eyes are shut to versions that are dearer. I also recollect some form of super petrol wrecking engines.

I was advised to stop buying diesel from one garage following a service - reason sludge in the filter when it had previously always been clean. On the other hand they may have wanted me to buy from them. Main agent with pumps.

John
    -

6. Heat

Heat Well-Known Member

There is definitely a difference between ordinary diesel and BP Ultima fuel. Vehicle has slightly better performance and economy and it is supposed to have properties to make it better on fuel pump.
    A lot more expensive though at sometimes close to 10 pence per litre compared with cheapest source.
    I now use Millers diesel additive and only buy from any of the well known garages - Texaco, Maxol, BP, etc.

7. Wayners

Wayners Well-Known Member

They tested the premium fuels vs standard on tv consumer program a few weeks ago. Car with the good stuff traveled another 3m on test track. Unless you have performance car it's a waste of money spending 10p per lt more. Bang in the cheap stuff from wherever you can get it. Loads of high mileage cars about running on fuels bought all over the place

8. Bogle Crag

Bogle Crag Active Member

I remember when Asda started selling petrol, there were rumours that it caused pinking

9. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

Having filled up some of the top performing road vehicles in the UK, All fuel stations sell petrol and diesel which is suitable for every standard road vehicle in the UK.

All the stories are just scaremongers or excuses by car mechanics to justify repairs. Even a friend was told by a Husqvarna service agent that his chainsaw problems were down to supermarket fuel - even though his BMW, Honda M/c and wifes Merc all ran quite happily on it.

gadget man likes this.