difference between laminate floors

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by mazinbrum, Nov 21, 2008.

1. mazinbrum

mazinbrum New Member

What`s the difference between different laminates ?
    I prefer to go with a known brand name such as quick step but they are expensive, is there a real advantage compared to just going to floors 2 go as suggested by the missus ?

2. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

old chinese proverb!
    "good things no cheap, cheap things no good" ;)

3. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

nah get yourself some balterio, tradition exotic, cracking stuff!!!!!!!1
    I sell lots of brands and yep q-step is just too bleedin expensive.
    I had the q-step rep in my shop telling me about next years updates, i told him his stuff was too expensive.
    He was banging on how superior his stuff was, nah, it's not!!!!!!!!!
    Oh and btw they want £200 off me to update my display stand next year...............for that i get 22 sample boards and a few cd's with immages and stuff on!!!!!!!!!
    Very cheap laminates are cr@p, most of the rest are very similar quality, and will wear about the same.
    You pay more for better designs than wear layer these days.

4. !!

!! New Member

I'd say balterio is about the best trade off and some floors 2 go stuff is just re packaged balterio, or at least the tradition quattro is.

I like the tradition exotic as well did a nice thermo ash recently which is on the website. ryanscarpentry@piczo.com

5. !!

!! New Member

opps ryanscarpentry.piczo.com

6. mazinbrum

mazinbrum New Member

Cheers chaps, missus likes it too which is a bonus, either going for tigerwood (maybe a bit too red?) or Ipe.

7. chappers

chappers Member

Bloody hell Audi you pay them £200 to advertise their products for them and you don't even like selling them. They should be paying you for floorspace in your shop.
    i would tell their rep he is having a laugh and boot him out the door.

8. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

Nah, you don't just pay £200.
    You pay for the stand, it's a 2 year "contract" lol
    Then when thats up you start paying again.
    So next year if i want my stand updated it's £200!!!!!!!!
    Then last week i get another letter,
    Something like "as a valued q-step distributor we have decided to give you the opportunity of BUYING online any replacement samples you may need for any lost or missing from your stand!!!!!!!!!
    I just laugh at them now, they are on another planet!!!!!!
    Your right, in other trades big companies throw free displays and pos at you!!!!!!!!
    I have a 3m+ quick-step display stand (it was the biggest they had at the time) so their name has 3m of my shop wall and they want me to pay them!!!!!!!!!!
    I am thinking of binning q-step, and i'm not alone, lots of lads in the trade are getting sick of their aR-sy way of doing business and are sick of the low margins.
    Balterio, good stuff, good range and miles better money in it!!!!!!!!!!!

9. mazinbrum

mazinbrum New Member

audi-evo, I`m sat here looking at 4 piles of balterio tradition exotic tigerwood, must say it looks gorgeous, whats the best saw to use for cutting it ? Previously I`ve used a jigsaw with a downward cutting blade, anything better ? Tenon saw ?

10. !!

!! New Member

jigsaw with downward cutting blade or circular saw. I never use my mitre saw as laminate quickly wears the blade out

11. sammy toaster

sammy toaster New Member

get wired into it with a chainsaw and burn the ****.

12. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

yep maz your jigsaw option is as good as anything, don't worry too much, just use what yuor comfortable with, remember none of your cuts are on show
    ;)

13. !!

!! New Member

hey audi hate to rub salt into the wound but I'm off to look at a 07 VW crafter tomorrow lwb, be on the lookout for a name change to gonzosdeutscherpackwagen ;)

14. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

never liked you anyway!!!!!!!!
    Mr Gonzopssstaker
    It's ok, i'm gonna re-spray my much hated vw-lt........... green maybe!!!!!!!! :(
    Nah, good one, what's it like, miles, colour, price, bhp?
    i will have one, decided after christmas i'll just take the hit on my van and get what i wanted (and should have bought) 2 years ago!
    I've had 2 years out of mine so if i loose 4-5k it's only been 40 quid a week or so.

15. !!

!! New Member

16. !!

!! New Member

I don't mind the lt too much it's just very bare good solid van though

17. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

hahahahahahahhahahahah, what a small world, i rang up about that van (or an idetical one they had) 3 months ago, he offered me 8k at the time for mine p/ex, i hummed and harred a bit and the deal never happened ;)
    So...........your ok, you can have my cast offs!!!!!!
    ;)
    Nice van though!
    Good luck with it, you may want to try the trader though, i think there are a few around a bit cheaper at the min.

18. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

19. !!

!! New Member

cheers audi, you've given me a barganing tool, being a yorkshire man I was going to kick the tyres and offer him about 5% less anyway. now I can go for new tyres including spare, tax and a full tank as well.

Good thing about the downturn I supose no ones buying as much and we all need to sell

20. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

yep, they are giving motors away, i have a guy offering me a renault master, 07 plate 8k miles, looks brand new, met paint electric pack,120bhp, ..........£7995!!!!!!!!!!!
    No p/ex though so i'll have to get rid of my van and a bit concerned it will stick and i'll end up with a van i don't need!!!!