Diffusing downlighters

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Offshore, Sep 1, 2021.

1. Offshore

Offshore Active Member

Morning,

we have just installed four LED downlighters in our refurbished kitchen. They are 240v/10w and size-wise were a straight swap for the previous low voltage lights and transformers that were in place. They work fine and provide a very crisp white light. The problem is that they are great for working around the worktops but very harsh when just providing light in general and cast quite a lot of shadow - first world problems, I know. I have experimented with holding a sheet of tissue paper over the lights to act as a diffuser and it is much improved. Obviously this is not a realistic long term solution but does suggest that a proper diffuser would work. Does anyone know of a suitable product? Or any other suggestions for that matter. The lights themselves are non-dimmable and non-replaceable lamps so a bit limited in that respect. Ultimately, they could be replaced with less powerful units but that is another £80 that I'd rather not spend.
    Thanks for any advice.
    Cheers

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

You could fit a dimmer switch, although the lamps would need to be dimmable ones of course.

3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Sounds like the lamps are of a narrow beam angle so you get a tight cone of light with very little spread

As they’re integrated fittings - can’t see you have any options other than live with them or change them

Who specified the fittings ? Yourself or an electrician / builder / other / ?

4. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

Carefully take one out of the ceiling and check to see if there is a switch on the back of it allowing you to change the hue of the lamp.

5. Offshore

Offshore Active Member

Thanks for the replies. A bit embarrassing....just checked them and they are dimmable after all. D'oh :rolleyes:
    Problem solved, hopefully.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021