Diminishing handrails into ceiling

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Adam124, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Adam124

Adam124 New Member

How do other set there’s our? What’s your methods? Thanks

2. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

nicely! :/

3. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

20170318_162421 (1).jpg

20170319_110333.jpg

Like that mate. Terminating a single length of handrail into the ceiling looks rubbish in my opinion.

KIAB likes this.
  4. Adam124

Adam124 New Member

I agree it doesn’t look the best but some stairs can’t have a full run of handrail/spindles when the ceiling hits the string. I have my first one to do for a customer in a few weeks, seeing if anyone had better ideas than mine for setting it out

5. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Have you any photos of the existing setup?

6. Adam124

Adam124 New Member

Only way to explain is. 3/4 way up the flight the stringer has walls butting up to it which means you can’t plant the base rail all the way up without being notched around the stud wall. I’m planning on diminishing the hand rail and spindles into ceiling and notching the base upto newel if that makes any sense lol no photos sorry

7. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Difficult to envision, can you extend the stud wall out by double boarding/planting on so the handrail has something to butt into? Plant a false string on which may allow the baserail to be fixed further over, out of the way of the stud wall?

8. Adam124

Adam124 New Member

Here are some pictures the customer sent me

Attached Files:

9. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Hmm, several ways as I see it. This may sound extreme but I would first look at the trimmer joist, take up the existing nosing neatly and see if the apron lining has been packed out at all, if it has, remove the apron lining neatly, remove the packing(may have to trim plasterboard ceiling back an inch or so) then refit the apron lining and nosing. If this is a possibility then it will give you more space to get a full handrail/baserail up the string, from bottom to top newel.

Another way would be to somewhat copy what's in the pictures I put up, plant another apron lining on top of the existing, this may just give you enough bearing to fix a handrail to the underside and carry it down to the bottom newel.

You could plant another string onto the existing, from the left hand side, however your handrail/baserail will then be off centre with the newel, unless you beef up the newel by gluing and pinning timber to build it out to suit.

A possibility (but it may look odd) would be to fit the handrail from the side of the bottom newel( a mitred end returning into the newel, running up into the ceiling) and either cut the bottoms of your spindles directly into the rake of the stud wall next to the stair string (no baserail), or mitre your baserail to suit the handrail above.

KIAB, WillyEckerslike and chippie244 like this.
  10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

schrewfix, GoodwithWood and Jord86 like this.
  11. schrewfix

schrewfix New Member

We have an identical set up - in fact the whole thing looks like you've taken a picture in our house. Did you resolve this? Any pics? Sorry, realise its a few years ago but this is best example of our issue. Do like the look of the setup that was posted further down but wondered if you had another take on it given its the same

12. SoManyUserNames

SoManyUserNames Active Member

13. schrewfix

schrewfix New Member

Thanks Adam

14. schrewfix

schrewfix New Member

I am having trouble with the ceiling rail. I can't find anything to screw the ceiling rail onto except the plasterboard. I have used 2 different joist finders to try and get some wood to screw into, but found nothing (Stanley Fatmax models FMHT77407 & STHT77588 - USELESS). I realise the plasterboard is hanging off of something but a few random screws and the scanners have found nothing. My situation is identical to the pics as submitted by Adam (copied again below). Any ideas please
    8969A1CF-FDEB-40B8-92F8-D677B7D890B1.jpeg
    4F55EEEA-9344-4374-88B3-74A1E1B5F5ED.jpeg

15. woodbutcherbower

woodbutcherbower Active Member

I'm doing one in oak and 8mm templated safety glass on Tuesday next. Picked up the glass today (£450 and 3 weeks delivery :(:() so I'll post pics when it's done. Same method as Jord86 posted on his original setting-out pics, with a ceiling-level header rail.

16. schrewfix

schrewfix New Member

Nice - Mine is in cheapo Pine but I'd be happy if it was lolly sticks if I could work out how to hold up the ceiling rail. Thanks, be interested to see it