Dimmer for G4 lamps

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by kangooman, Mar 6, 2010.

1. kangooman

kangooman New Member

Hello all,

Do you know if there is a dimmer suitable for the above lamps?

Many thanks,

2. sysparks

sysparks New Member

Would hav thought a standard dimmer would be ok, as long as ****** is dimmable.

3. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

Just bear in mind that standard dimmers not only have a maximum load, but a minimum load too. This (generally) means that you'd need at least three G4 lamps in the circuit.

Lucia.

4. kangooman

kangooman New Member

Many thanks gents,

The dimmer I have used on many occasion and is suitable for both mains and LV but when connected it acted as a switch fine but when used as a dimmer it made a sound that certainly did not sound healthy so I disconnected it.

The light fitting has 5 20W G4 lamps.

I wanted to first clarify that G4 lamps can be dimmed so thanks for that.

I assume in this case that it is the ****** that is causing me a problem so will have to stick to a switch which is a shame as the light is for the dining room and a dimmer would be perfect.

Thanks again.

5. state-it

state-it New Member

Try one of these

They work well on low wattages

[Edited by: admin]

6. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

Perhaps the fitting itself has an in-built 'dirty' toroidal transformer? If so, it can be removed/disconnected and replaced by a 105VA dimmable transformer, at very little cost.

Lucia.

7. kangooman

kangooman New Member

state,

cheers for that but cant get the link to work, would you please try again as not sure if its the link or my pc.

Many thanks.

8. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

It don't work Kangoo cause admin have removed it! :^O

Must be on TLC or Nobstation! ;)

9. state-it

state-it New Member

It was a link to a manufacturers website giving details and spec for a product Screwfix don't sell.

Mode Lighting ET-C dimmer.

10. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

It didn't matter anyway, s-i, because that link didn't actually work. I tried to view it within seconds of your posting it.

This perhaps, is an indication that 'Admin' removes links on a whim - without viewing them?

* indeed......

Lucia x

11. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

I estimate 99% of links and inappropriate words/posts are carried out by a sysops (programmed by operators obviously) and 1% are removed real time by presumably a forum monitor who monitors across the whole of the forums and not just the one via flags.

Any links which could possibly jeopardize Screwfixes business are obviously auto removed. Cannot see anything wrong with that myself as you have to think of your own business first.

Myself I think the forum is moderated very fairly indeed be it by a sysops or a combination of a sysops and moderator (Admin)

12. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

"99%", JP?

That's clearly the result of meticulous study and careful research on your part.....

I don't blame Sfx for removing links to competitors' sites. I would do the same if someone tried to piggy-back on my business.

There's two kinds of 'moderation' here: Firstly, the auto-censor that prevents the use of certain profanaties, such as stop cock or bugger.

Then, there's the direct intervention from a [moderator] who'll quite likely delete any link according to his - or her mood.

So, stop sucking up to Screwfix, dear.....

Lucia x

13. 999

999 New Member

x

14. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

I've already proved you wrong once Lucia with respect to Wallys pictures.

I do not suck up to Screwfix..however I do believe that the moderation is fair. I will not comment any further on the matter as you are entitled to your opinion and me mine.

15. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

I have no idea what you're on about, regarding 'Wally's Pictures', John dear. You clearly have a longer memory than I do.

I merely asked you whether your "statistic" of 99% was the result of a detailed study......

I hope you'll be in a better mood next time......

Lucia x

16. mr sillys

mr sillys New Member

keys, wives and g4 dimmers

this how freindships end

cheers

swappers