Dimmer Switches

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by ClarkKent77, Apr 14, 2019.

1. ClarkKent77

ClarkKent77 New Member

Hello there.

I would like to install dimmer switches in various rooms in our house. The thing is, I don't know ANYTHING about dimmers, or lights or DIY in general.

What do I need to know? Do they work in all rooms / with all lights? Feel free to explain it to me as though I was a child.

Where is the best place to buy them?

2. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

If your using LED lamps, they need to dimable & the dimmer compatiable with them, Varilight is one such dimmer.

Also you usually need a deeper metal back box to accomodate the dimmer your using, some need 25mm,others need 35mm deep boxes

https://www.varilight.co.uk/dimmers/v-pro.php

3. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Active Member

plus you need to make sure your home insurance is up to date for when the fire breaks out.

4. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

Dimmers are many and various
    Lights are many and various
    There are many ways of the two things not working together.

We might be able to help you on a room by room basis - you say what the lights are in a room, and we try and guide you as to the dimmer type to use. But that’s going to be tiresome after a while.
    Maybe better to find a local friendly electrician to help you out.

5. spinlondon

spinlondon Well-Known Member

Something to watch out for is the Wattage range the dimmer covers.
    A dimmer with a range 150W to 300W will not work on a 100W lamp.
    Even a 100W to 200W range will not work properly, because as you dim the lamp, the Wattage falls below the 100W rating of the lamp.
    For a 100W lamp, you would need a range of 15W to 150W.
    With 2 or more lamps controlled by the same dimmer, you will have to add the lamp Wattages.

6. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

…and some of the “low load” LED dimmers have a maximum number of LEDs that they can handle.

7. LEH

LEH Active Member

I have a Varilight V-pro in my living that I fitted myself, and can recommend them.

If you're starting from a complete position of ignorance, it's going to be quicker to get an electrician in. It's a very quick job, provided there are no unpleasant surprises in your wiring, so find one close to you, shouldn't cost much.

Otherwise you need to do your own research on how to isolate the circuit safely, how to be sure it's isolated, how lighting circuits in houses are wired, how to trim and terminate cables correctly etc. Plenty of resources out there on the internet, but you will need to spend some time on it, as you need to do it safely!