Direct Power BM210J problem

Discussion in 'Screwfix' started by trenoweth, Feb 12, 2018.

1. trenoweth

trenoweth New Member

I have a Direct Power BM210J compound mitre saw that has given good service for a number of years but has now met with a problem. The retractable safety guard is no longer working correctly because the edge alongside the hole that the pivot on the safety guard actuator fits in to has broken, and the pivot has fallen out and been lost.

Is there anywhere I can buy a replacement for these? I have tried asking Screwfix but (after two weeks) have had no response.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Basically Erbauer, so little or no chance of any spares, on the manual it says for spare parts or repair service (outside of guarantee) please contact the customer helpline number on 0845 607 6380.
    But, I suspect it's a total waste of time trying that number.

Post a photo,will give use a better understanding of the fault.

trenoweth likes this.
  3. trenoweth

trenoweth New Member

I'm not in the UK so that number isn't any use for me. I've had no luck getting a reply by email.

DSC_0077.JPG
    Here's the image. The red arrow points to where the plastic has broken off. In the hole there ought to be a black metal peg that engages with the curved slot to lift the plastic safety guard as the blade is brought down onto the wood being sawn.

What I want to know is, is it possible to obtain a replacement plastic safety guard?

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Think you got no chance of getting one of those as a spare,like Erbauer spares are non exsistant.
    Might be lucky to find a broken saw on Ebay you can strip for spares,but I think your scuppered.
    You might even find a guard from another brand will fit, if you search.

trenoweth likes this.
  5. trenoweth

trenoweth New Member

'No chance' is the conclusion I'm coming to. Some spares are available from an outfit in Southampton, but not the one I need, so I'll just have to go out and buy a new one. There's a similar Ryobi available for a fairly reasonable price so I'll look at that.

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

What's your budget.

Sometimes it's better to buy a reputable brand,you there are spares available.

7. trenoweth

trenoweth New Member

I don't want to spend a lot as it only has occasional use, but it is a very useful tool to have and has been put to good use during the past ten years or so. There is a Ryobi (EMS 1221RG) available here for $179 (about £95) which looks to be a similar spec so therefore would suit my purpose. I know Ryobi and think they are pretty decent tools. There is also an Ozito (SCMS-1621) for about $19 more, which has a laser guide and an 1800w motor as opposed to a 1200w one. However, I've never hear of Ozito before and do wonder if it's not too cheap for its spec! It also weighs 11kg as against the Ryobi's 8.5kg.

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Ozito is a brand I am unfamilar with,being in the UK, but the saw pops up in Australia, not rated too highly, especially mitre cuts.
    I looked at the Ryobi (EMS 1221RG) very limited in cutting capacity at 45 degrees, I've incuded a link to manual.

http://www.ryobi.co.nz/support/manuals/details/EMS1221RG

If it was me I would be looking at a sliding mitre saw, offers more options,& one with 254mm blade ideally, offer a wider range of choice like a 64 tooth for fine cutting.

Even the bigger brother of the Ryobi EMS 1221RG has benefits, can't find the specs for it though.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/ryobi-1800w-254mm-corded-laser-compound-mitre-saw_p6210394

With some searching would think you could get the price down a bit.

Struggling finding details for mitre saws, not available in the UK, as I don't know your tool shops you have there..