Discoloured Kitchen Granite Worktops - Advice Please

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Solva122, Sep 10, 2021.

1. Solva122

Solva122 New Member

Had new granite worktops fitted last year a light sand / biscuit colour at a cost of £4.5k, after six months the colour suddenly began to darken. Any areas usually covered (such as under the toaster) remain similar to the original colour, everywhere else, the granite is staining and darkening, its even darkening on the edge of the island where I usually rest my arms while typing on the laptop. The company that supplied and fitted the worktops are remaining tight lipped as to what the problem actually is and a few weeks ago sent a guy here who washed it over with a peroxide cleaner, then resealed it with something called Hydrex. He wasn't here long and the treatment didn't appear to be that effective, just washing this stuff over the surface with some old rags. He told me to see how that turned out, needless to say, other than more of a sheen it hasn't cured the problem. I have been back in touch with the supplier, their answer is to send the chap back out next week to try again. Since the worktops were installed they have been carefully looked after, no harsh chemicals, my wife usually uses disposable wipes that say suitable for granite, any spills are cleaned up immediately. One thing though, reading up on the subject after the fact, apparently if granite is sealed properly water should bead on the surface, well, it always sank in from day one. I think they didn't seal the stone properly (is it even granite? as someone said to me) and I have actually said this to them about the sealant which they have neither denied or confirmed. What should I do to get this sorted out? greatfull if you can offer advice on the matter.

Attached Files:

2. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

As a rule, Granite only changes colour after water ingress into the Granite. Water ingress will continue to happen up to the point it's polished and then sealed. Sealers that Granite company's use will last for a minimum of 10 to 12 years................much much longer that anything you could buy DIY for instance.
    If your entire surfaces have got darker over the last year, but not under areas that would not normally get cleaned very often (we all have them lol)...........the suspicion that they were not sealed when they left the factory has to be very high in my mind.
    One thing i don't understand from you pic is why the jointing compound colour is white ? All the Granite company's i use mix the compound on site to match the worktop. In fact one of the Granite fitters from one company i use is so anal about the joint colour he will take it out and remix it if he's not happy with it.

3. Solva122

Solva122 New Member

Thank you for getting back to me, appreciated. I think they just used a light cream jointing compound that closely matched the tile grout colour and as far as we knew thats how it was done. Knowing more about the subject than I do, if you were in my position, do you think you would let them send that guy here again to have another go? or, as I suspect, is this just a load of nonsense that would only, at best, be a small temporary improvement? Thanks again.

4. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

I actually fit kitchens, along with all sorts of worktops.........but not Granite. The Granite company's i use, template and fit their own worktops.
    The fact that your worktops have changed colour, in other words gone darker, is a classic sign that they were fitted without being sealed at the factory and defo were not sealed during instalation. I know for a fact the 2 company's i use seal the tops at the factory, it's a time consuming process that simply can't be done during installation. My best guess is that just adding another coat of Hydrex will make no difference other than maybe stop it from going even darker. That's assuming the water that's already been absorbed has actually come fully to the surface anyway.

5. Solva122

Solva122 New Member

Thank you for the info, once again appreciated. I had come to the conclusion that its unlikely they will be able to improve much what has happened, as that stain / water is now down in the stone itself. Its a rock and a hard place, even if they finally said they would replace it (and I don't think for one minute they would do that) ripping that all out, including the up-stands (as its plasterboard behind the up-stand and tiles), would all but destroy the kitchen. Arrrgh! Anyhow thank you once again, best regards.