Disconnection times

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Alan sherriff, Jan 12, 2018.

1. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

Cheers mate...I will do. Civil engineer/5WW ;) lol

2. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

I’m Bsc (Hons) ftw x

3. leesparkykent

Cool ..... :confused:

4. leesparkykent

Reading this again I've concluded that you must be very insecure, not very confident in your own abilities and feel threatened by me...otherwise you wouldn't have the urge to keep publicly stating how good you think you are. I personally have no need or desire to do the same...I suppose if you keep saying it and repeatedly expressing it to the forum, then you might end up believing your own hype. o_O

Risteard likes this.
  5. Alan sherriff

Alan sherriff Active Member

Thanks for all your comments did a ze yesterday all bonds disconnected and sweated Earth on this tns supply and recorded .9 ohms which was raising my zs reading out of maximum disconnecting times of .4 seconds for 30 amp rewirble 3036, on the cooker circuit The original guestion was about old cooker installation and new amendment figures This could on a EICR makeing an installation unsatisfactory, but old disconnection times o/k within times when installed as the regs are not retrospective and results o/k at the time of installation
    Can not lower fuse wire rateing possible rewire all pvc cable I could beef cooker cable to 10 mill can not shorten cable run Have not tested sockets or lights as not contacted for that.Any way rcd board and 60898 breakers which will give me higher Zs just border line. And rcd to cover secondary shock protection And 32 amp c/b will let me use 5 second times for cooker. There are no service bonds so installed will drop mr zs reading price in for cooker rewire new rcd twin rcd and bonds £680 good price???

6. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

680 pounds is a very reasonable figure tbqh - obviously the customer will be presented with a cert upon completion of job. Excellent Alan.

7. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

Not sure how you read Lee's post given that you placed him on your "ignore" list last week. Technical error?

leesparkykent likes this.
  8. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

It still doesn't answer the question why the likes of Currys are getting involved in circuit testing as a prerequisite to deciding when they are allowed to connect a cooker?

Anyway, Currys aside, there is an alternative solution to your dilemma. That is to get the main earthing system changed to PME. That would drop the Ze significantly and bring all your Zs readings down with it. I would explore that first before you go spending the customers money fudging the circuits. You are an electrician and as such should have thought about the PME possibility before embarking on all the other stuff you are contemplating.

9. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Hi UP

I believe it is a CYA issue. If they connect an appliance then later find there is a problem with the circuit, they can show the circuit was ok at the time of connection. If it isn't withing their prescribed parameters they will not coonect.

Reduced insurance premiums maybe?

Kind regards

10. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

But the issue IMHO, Bazza, is that Currys (and similar electrical appliance suppliers) are not qualified to test a circuit! They cannot,surely, train an employee just to test circuits in this manner and produce any meaningful result on which to base a decision whether to connect an appliance. I don't know what tester they use or what particular test they are requiring their delivery team to be carrying out but it is really no concern of theirs. They are treading on dodgy ground taking responsibility for testing a circuit and basing decisions as to whether an appliance can be safely connected? I think these appliance suppliers should be taken to task about it, I find it bizarre that they are even being allowed to do it. All they should simply require is that no responsibility can be accepted for connecting any appliances for customers and that customers should have the relevant circuit checked prior to the appliance being delivered. I really don't get why so many businesses get involved in things they have no experience to do so. Its laughable that Currys even offer a fitting service if they don't ultimately deliver that service to its proper conclusion.

11. leesparkykent

I can't see why carrying out earth fault loop impedance testing could be seen as a bad thing. Yes they may occasionally get things wrong like when it's TT for example but I would say the pros outweigh the cons.

Risteard likes this.
  12. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

I completely agree UP. I can't comment on testgear etc as I don't know what they use or what training they are given, but obviously they must get some elementary training, unless they employ a spark to follow the delivery team round and make the connection to a "suitably tested and approved" circuit (my words, not theirs)>

Kind regards

13. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

I believe they use a Socket and See type indicator. As with leesparkykent I certainly don't see that it is a bad thing that they do this. Obviously they are concerned that if someone received an electric shock from an appliance they had installed that they could be held liable. (It's not beyond possibility that their view is correct either.) Certainly they can make mistakes, however, through insufficient knowledge on the subject matter (e.g. TT systems as mentioned by Lee).

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  14. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

What about leaving the customer without cooking facilities? They have paid for a new cooker, paid for it to be fitted, and through some spurious excuse of a 'test' been denied both. It is wrong. Too many cooks spoil the broth. They are not concerned enough if they just walk away from the job leaving the customer high and dry. They should not get involved at all in the decision to connect or not. They should either get out of the fitting side of things altogether and just deliver or do it properly and get a professional qualified sparkey to say the circuit is safe. This refusal to install is solving nothing and leaves the customer in a mess. Please stop defending the idiots who perpetrate ******** service.

15. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Roast beef joint defrosting on the kitchen work top ready for the new cooker which will arrive in 30 minutes time - new cooker arrives and delivery men refuse connection due to readings on plug in tester. Roast beef joint ends up in food recycle bin, and instead the lady has to raid fridge and make family fish paste sandwiches which are not on par with a roast beef dinner.

And all because of a plug in tester giving bad readings..makes u wonder din it.

16. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I'll see your BSc and raise you a BEng (Hons) in Electrical and Electronic Engineering :D But I would never claim to know as much about domestic electrical wiring as the Pro sparks on here...my degree was a long time ago and I've never used any of it!

17. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Doc something very interesting has cropped up. My bruvs daughter is going to move into a new build council flat and I will be helping the move. Just had some pics of the general work sent to me and its looking good (I know things look different in the field, as pics are pics)

Right the boiler is pukka - its a Worcester Bosch

The electrical installation is looking very good indeed with plenty of sockets/BT points etc etc dotted around the gaff and at the correct regulation new build heights. There is a picture of the DB with lid closed, and I suspect this DB s fully loaded with rcbo's..maybe wrong though, but it looks that way.
    I cant wait to have a dekko tbqh as council sparks generally have a very good reputation, and the work obviously must have been done under the latest regs.

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  18. leesparkykent

1st time I've heard the praise of council sparks:eek:

19. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

We will see Lee..its not for me to rip there work apart, and I will look at the installation on a general level. Council sparks many years ago had a good reputation, what it is like now I dont know at this particular juncture.

20. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

I've got a 300 yards swimming certificate if that cuts it?:)