Dishwasher keeps cutting out

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by James peel, Oct 9, 2022.

Tags:
  1. James peel

James peel New Member

Hi,

I have an intermittent issue with my dishwasher where after about 5 minutes of use it completely stops, as if it has no power at all. Turning the dial to turn it back on does nothing but if I take the plug out of the wall and put it back in, the lights come on and it will start up again. Sometimes if I shift the plug around a bit in the socket without taking it out fully the “on” light will glow briefly before going off again.

This isn’t a completely new issue. The dishwasher had been working perfectly up until a month or so ago when this started. I took the socket cover off and couldn’t see anything obvious wrong (admittedly though I’m not an electrician and I only know the basics) so I put it back on and for a few weeks it was fine again, until yesterday.

My guess is there’s either a problem with the socket or the wiring into it, but I’ve no idea what or really where to start with it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Try plugging into another socket ,via extension lead. See if any different. Is the plug moulded onto the machines cable ? Examine the plug.

CGN likes this.
  3. James peel

James peel New Member

The plug is moulded to the cable, but it works when plugged into a separate socket. To be honest I think that section may not be wired properly. There are two sockets behind a kitchen cupboard, this one that the dishwasher plugs into and another that from appearance looks to be wired fine, but does not work at all.

I can’t imagine they’ll be easy to fix thanks to their location but I wondered if the way it was working for a bit and then not indicated anything in particular.

4. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Loose connection ,internal fault in the socket would be most likely causes of intermittent loss of power. Testing would need to be done to establish why the other socket appears to be dead.

5. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Faulty socket, just replace it, they're cheap enough!

6. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

As above. Sound like a faulty connection. I too suspect either the plug or the socket. Chop off the plug and fit a new one. Replace the socket.

Dishwashers work a bit like this:
    Starts
    Pump runs (low power)
    Cold water fill/rinse (low power)
    Release detergent tablet (low power)
    Heat water (high power)
    … this is probably the point at which power disappears. Bad/oxidised connections in the plug/socket are common problems. Simple and cheap to do. Hopefully it fixes things.

7. James peel

James peel New Member

Thanks for all your suggestions and help, I’ll get a new socket fitted and hopefully that’ll be the end of it, if not I’ll have a go with the plug itself

8. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

For the cost involved replace both. If the plug is damaged and has caused the socket to fail, or vice cersa then a couple of weeks down the road you will be in the same position again.

9. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

CE6BEB39-4DB2-4695-8176-E1ECD8156FC5.jpeg

Bazza-spark likes this.