Dishwasher trips electric if open, not always switched on!

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by DeBeCo, Oct 9, 2019.

1. DeBeCo

DeBeCo New Member

My electric regularly trips when my integrated dishwasher has its door open fully. The power button doesn’t have to be switched on!
    Anyone have any ideas as to what is causing this? Thank you!

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

If this only happens when the door is open, I’m wondering if there’s some damage to the wiring that passes from under the machine, up through the door to the control panel at top of door

Some dismantling to get to wiring, facia door needs to come off then panels and other ‘bits’ (depending on model) start with a visual inspection of the wiring

Do you have any test equipment - a multi meter for example ?

seneca likes this.
  3. DeBeCo

DeBeCo New Member

Thank you. I could get hold of a test meter but I don’t think I would know how to take the door off!

4. DeBeCo

DeBeCo New Member

I do have a multimeter!

5. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

With integrated dish washers you get to the door wiring by taking out the screws around the edge of the inside of the door, the door covering and the kitchen door front will then be released. The hinges for the dishwasher door are attached to the stainless steel inside door. Put something underneath to support the outer door. Disconnect the supply. AND beware was the inside door will spring upwards to close as the weight of the outer door is removed. As do others, I suspect insulation damage as the cables pass from the door to the body of the machine. Repair with sleeving preferably, but tape will be OK. A multimeter will not be much help, it is a visual inspection that will reveal the fault.

6. DeBeCo

DeBeCo New Member

Thank you. Is something that would get worse? I was wondering if I could just switch the machine off at the mains until I need to use it?

7. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Best to unplug it, it might be a neutral-earth fault in which case it will still trip the rcd.