Dismantling Decking – Screw Heads Damaged.

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Rich05, May 29, 2007.

1. Rich05

Rich05 New Member

Can anyone please help, I’m trying to dismantle some old garden decking not wanting to damage it as I will be giving it to a mate to re-build in his garden. However most of the screws (which are countersunk into the deck boards) are old and rusted and almost impossible to remove, so much so I actually burnt-out an electric drill/screwdriver and despite all efforts have damaged some of the heads.

Can these screws be removed in some other way, maybe drilling them out and if so is there some special tool I can buy? Or maybe is there another way of dismantling the decking without removing the screw, such as cutting the screws but have no idea how as they are not really accessible without cutting through the decking itself.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

2. MR BUSY

MR BUSY New Member

As you said try drilling the heads off.
    Buy a job lot of hss bits from SF

3. big all

big all Screwfix Select

if you have loads of screws that won't shift and you dont have if your not having much luck with driling them out

i would suggest you get them all out then any stubborn screws cut half inch either side and live with joints and several inches less width
    and with the bits left on the screws you can try and rotate them out
    if that dosn't work try splitting the wood and gripping the screw with pump pliers or somether sort that tighten with pressure

4. big all

big all Screwfix Select

that should read

"if you have loads of screws that won't shift and your not having much luck with driling them out

5. > not wanting to damage it as I will
    be giving it to a mate to re-build in his garden.

...this is what's causing your prob

6. andy@trend

andy@trend New Member

7. handymanforhire

handymanforhire New Member

Try using an impact driver instead of a drill/driver. If that doesn't work, then a Fein MultiMaster with a bi-metallic blade might cut through the screws - though you'll have to rip up one or two lengths of decking for access. Oh and just make sure your mate's paying you for your time. And get yourself a big Thermos of coffee - it's going to be a loooooong day...

Best, Pete.

8. Mr Mike

Mr Mike New Member

Hi Rich05,

I think you may find that this is what you are
    looking for :

http://www.trendmachinery.co.uk/grabit/

;)

HTH
    andy@trend

As much as I hate to say it.....the above gizmo does work.....

Still gonna be a long day though.....:(

9. -chippy_john

-chippy_john New Member

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Tell your mate to come and remove it himself if he wants it. :)

10. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Once you have removed one board you should be able to access any screws in the next board(if there are any that you can't remove)from between it and the joist. Either hacksaw or tool with hacksaw blade in it(can't think of it's name - like a padsaw but with a hacksaw blade).

If not cold chisel(brickies or electricians)and whack the screw so hard, you snap it or force it out of the joist.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

11. Mr Kipling

Mr Kipling New Member

Are the screw heads sunk into the board or counter sunk level? If they are sunk into the board it might be easier to drive the screw head all the way through. You risk splitting the surface otherwise.

12. Shedmen

Shedmen New Member

Commercially trying to take up a well laid deck that has been screwed down a while would not really be viable in terms of the cost of labour to reuse the materials again.

As someone who lays decks I always price for just ripping out the old one. If your mate wants the gear I suggest he spends the frustrating hours trying to get it up in big enough unspoilt pieces to re-use.

Good luck

Shedmen

13. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Here's another take.

It is unlikely that the old screw-holes will me in the right places for refitting somewhere else, so if they are made bigger and filled(or left, they will be hardly noticeable maybe), you could do this, likely new fixing holes would be needed anyway.

If the end ones are stuck, cut the board short of the joist. You will have something to pull up then. Lever the boards(long wrecking bar) right off the screws, so the screws pull through. You might be surprised how easily this happens.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

14. dunc

dunc New Member

If I had to do this on a regular basis I would use a sawsall type tool. It has a 6 inch blade that can get between wood and saw through screws.

But really you just end up with a hellish mess and a deck that starts off looking pretty rough.

As advise by others, its best to factor in a complete removal and replacement.

15. !!

!! Active Member

Get a fat nail punch and whack the screw through the board, you will never get them all out and it will drive you insane trying

16. gardm1nt

gardm1nt New Member

I would do as handy sudgests and just pull the boards up with a wreking bar.

17. joiner_sim

joiner_sim New Member

glad i aint do it!

18. Rich05

Rich05 New Member

19. imc65

imc65 New Member

they where selling a kit on QVC channel 16 freeview DIY on Sunday about 2 months ago that they said would get any screw out what ever the condition, can not remember the price, good luck, there web site i think is www.qvcuk.com