Disposing of fence panels

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by peter palmer, Apr 28, 2019.

1. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Whats the best way to get rid of 17 old 5' fence panels? Van wont go under the barrier at the tip so I would have to put them in the car but that means chopping them all up, I could buy an incinerator and burn them but that leads to loads of smoke and I would still have to cut them up, also I don't really want to stand outside all week feeding them into the incinerator if that's how long it takes.

Alternatively I could hire a skip, a mini one costs £100+vat but says it takes 25 bin bags, will 17 panels fit in one, doesn't look much bigger that a waste bin.

Lastly I could chuck them over the new fence into the scrub land at the back.

2. fostyrob

fostyrob Screwfix Select

Stick them on Gumtree / facebook marketplace for free and someone will remove them for you.

KIAB likes this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Post on your local Freecycle,Freegle, someone will take them for firewood.

4. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Screwfix Select

advertise them as free fire wood somebody will want them.

KIAB likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Snap!:D

6. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

I’ve recently got rid of ‘stuff’ left over from a refurb by putting on the drive with a sign saying ‘free to a good home’. Saved putting in the skip.

masterdiy likes this.
  7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Got around 4 tons of stone,dug out of garden,the more I dig, the more I find, could be used for walling,rockery, going free to a good home,hoping to save the £280 cost for a skip.:D

CGN likes this.
  8. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Always worth a try :)

9. dinkydo

dinkydo Screwfix Select

Firewood :( depending on how they have been treated may not be a good idea, one of the reasons why log burners and what is burnt on them will be regulated in the not too distant future

robertpstubbs likes this.
  10. Shaggy

Shaggy Active Member

A few people I know worth log burners don't care what they burn anyway, so I can't see that putting some off taking some "free firewood".

11. peter palmer

They are 17 years old so not sure if they were creosoted originally, seen as its not allowed anymore then I'm not sure burning them in a log burner is the best way to go if anyone has any sense.

12. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Funnily enough, that’s exactly what I’ve been doing this afternoon, although not as many as 17 panels, although mine were 6 footers and replaced 8 of them

Cut in half with circular saw and they go in the Renault Scenic down to the tip

Got a scruffy family car so don’t care what goes in that one, quick hoover out on its return and it’s as smart and tidy as a 12 year old car can be !

Could you not park van just outside barrier and with two of you, walk panels to skip ?

13. peter palmer

Maybe, although we have tip Nazis in charge of out local one, until recently I had a Focus estate and it was absolutely brilliant for stuff like this, had it 6 years so it owed me absolutely nothing, did 50 miles to the gallon and was a great driver. Never used it though, had nowhere to keep it and a mate wanted a cheap runaround so I sold it for £350, stupid really because its the price of a couple of skips.

14. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Stack them up neatly as possible at the front of the house. They will go within hours.

KIAB likes this.
  15. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

If you do burn them get a 50 gallon drum.

16. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Had an old wash machine few years ago..still working.
    Put it on front..with sign.
    'Working...Free to good home'...no takers after a week.
    Put a £150 ono sign on it and it was gone the next day.
    :D
    Rs

17. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

And another washing machine story;

Changed our machine couple months ago and instead of lugging old one to tip or leaving outside and hope scrap man goes by, there’s a local scrap guy we phone and he makes an appointment to pick up scrap from you - all very organised

So we left machine on driveway and scrappy was coming following morning

Next morning early, machine was gone, all good

That evening, there’s a knock on the door, open door and a chap on doorstep

‘Hello mate, I picked up the washing machine that was left on your driveway yesterday’

‘Er yes, that’s right, thanks very much’ I say, expecting this guy to be Mr Scrappy

‘Well it’s not working’ he says

I’m now slightly confused and ask this chap if he’s the scrap man to which he replied “no, I live in the next road and seen machine on driveway, plumbed it in and it’s not working. Shall I bring it back to you’

Honest ..... no word of a lie, I just laughed and told him it’s now his problem to dispose of and do not return it to me. He then complained at how heavy it was and two of them struggled to move it and all for a non working machine !

Honestly comedy gold and all true - couldn’t make it up

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  18. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

We cleared up a load of fly tipping in the valley - hard work dragging stuff up to the roadside then taking it by trailer to a large lay-by where we had arranged for the council to collect it next day.
    Good pile of stuff at the end of an exhausting day.

We had only just stopped for a brew when a police car pulled onto the drive - someone had reported us for fly tipping!
    The constable didn't need much convincing about what had occurred but when I took her further down the lane to show her what we had collected, all the metal had gone. Twenty minutes in a very quiet rural spot!
    I was really pleased that someone had taken the trouble to phone the police though - and that they had followed it up. Fly tipping is such a pain and litter breeds litter.

19. gas monkey

gas monkey Well-Known Member

i'll try police next time ,phoned the council fly tipping told them that someone was fly tipping
    told me there was nothing they could do about it as it was friday

20. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Guess you got 4 options
    Cut up and bag up then take to tip.
    Pay rubbish collection to come get it.
    Burn it in a fire bin.
    Get a skip.
    I'd get a skip. Just wood and nothing else so get a price. Not mixed builder waste, just wood. Works out cheaper