Distance between extension and neighbour

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by H8riz8n, Jul 7, 2021.

1. H8riz8n

H8riz8n New Member

Hang on, the horses have just been tied up outside ‍

2. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Are we to understand that you have instructed a Party Wall surveyor and that he has just agreed to your neighbour's proposals without your OK?. It sounds as though he is totally incompetant. He is there to protect your interests so you need to have words and possibly a formal complaint to his employers and/or professional body.

Are you saying the foundation is dug out and being concreted today and BC think they shouldn't? It's up to them to say stop not you (a good reason for using LA if you want the job done right), That said you don't want the trench left open if it's right beside your founds.

They needed a party wall notice because the foundations are within 3 m of yours: neither wall is a party wall.

The whole thing seems beset by incompetence and disregard for the rules and I can understand why you're peeved BUT at the end of the day provided the air brick and drain issues are resolved there isn't really an issue that's worth getting stressed about.

H8riz8n likes this.
  3. H8riz8n

H8riz8n New Member

Sums it up. I think from his forwarded emails he just let their surveyor who isn't a qualified/chartered surveyor draw up the award and just signed it without seeing if it was correct. Hence actually visiting the site unannounced and not charging for this impromptu visit plus 2 hours travel time when I was drip fed the plans after the work was done. Surveyor giving freebies, is that usual? The PWA is incomplete and inaccurate and I didn't even know it had been signed. Both self employed.

As they are building onto/into the main building party wall and attaching both the extensions together via mortar and flashings, it makes the extensions a party structure which they specifically didn't want. Nor do I. Looking at old photos counting the bricks, they are actually 30mm from the boundary hence why the fence panels are 20mm more on their side so will overhang mine. Not a problem if discussed and work completed competently.

The only reason I dissented is because they have not informed me of details which affect my property and to ensure the job is done correctly as I have been stung badly before with builders losing a tidy sum. Plus, it can cause hassle when selling. Unfortunately, neither have the surveyors as the PWA is poo.

I could have returned home to my tiles trimmed and embedded into the flashings and my patio altered, so effectively criminal damage and trespass as the BS said and my neighbour should know better. They'd already taken bricks out of my wall and removed the drain without my knowledge or knowing if they did everything correctly. They can do what they like as long as the PW stuff is done correctly.

They have employed the builder who did both our lofts years ago who wanted to do his own thing.

If they had discussed it with me, shown me the details as the drawings don't show the reality, worked out any concerns, we'd all be happy bunnies. They just kept saying they didn't know what was happening either. I thought by getting a PWA I would find out what they were doing to my property, but alas, still no.

I'm aware I can report the surveyors but I just want to be told the truth, my property protected, told the means and not shouted at for asking what is happening. A good chat over a cuppa/cold glass months ago with full disclosure and I wouldn't be on here.

4. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Tell them in writing to stop all work until everything is agreed as it should be, or you’ll seek a court injunction.

Enough already!

H8riz8n likes this.
  5. H8riz8n

H8riz8n New Member

I have, several times. I'm waiting for planning, BC and a solicitor but it's wknd. I emailed the surveyors, neighbours, planning and BC again yesterday and hand delivered the neighbours a copy which she threw at me screaming telling me to stop being pedantic before he husband pulled her back.

The BC told me last week I should tell the police re injurous? damage and trespass when they removed the drain, etc but I thought it was a bit much. Not now, with all the deceit and stress they have caused. Hence why she's touchy I assume...

I bet you all think I'm mad, I did. I've just realised they are presuming to use the excavation PWA for everything which is why they have bombarded me and not told me anything. They are building illegally so trying to get it up quickly. All complicit and scribbling an addendum to the award but no notice given as a lawful requisite. Has to be separate award so lying again, but they didn't tell me about the other one so I've emailed my surveyor and rescinded his right to undertake a PWA on my behalf.

I've been working things out slowly and asked the builder yesterday if it was a party wall as I was trying to see behind him and he said no. It will actually be on my land I've worked out.

I'm speaking to my other policeman neighbour to ask how I go about reporting her so the build stops before I can an injunction. That way, I may get to see the plans but I definitely won't be agreeing to anything the lying swines ask. I bet they are all a little worried as they know I know and will be wondering what I will do.

Why are so many people so dishonest, especially police!!

Hans_25 likes this.
  6. H8riz8n

H8riz8n New Member

That sounds dim. I knew it was a party structure but as I didn't get notice, etc I thought I must be wrong so it's sent me mad. All since Wednesday. I'm having a drink tonight ⚽

Thanks everyone for your input. We didn't guess that one did we...

7. Nev Hope

Nev Hope Active Member

looking at the photos and knowing that a lintel for what I’m assuming is a patio door should have 150mm bearing, are you sure your wall isn’t actually on your neighbours property?

8. H8riz8n

H8riz8n New Member

There used to be windows to the party wall brick with a door in the middle so absolutely not.

9. H8riz8n

H8riz8n New Member

I just discovered what they are planning. The wall was meant to be independent but they have built it as a party wall to take my easement tiles.
    The builder is so bad he has left a 30cm gulley between our walls. I've just had a notice to put in a steel beam so as they took a supporting wall out years ago, there's a bit of a wooden door where the french doors were holding the house up

10. dray

dray Screwfix Select

I hope I have understood your very late post correctly, but I thought that is what you wanted! You built your extension right on the boundary (as a party wall) with your tiles overhanging that boundary and projecting onto their land, which you outlined in post #1.
    From what you have described in the last post they are now building 30cm back from that party wall to allow for your tiles (and perhaps your extension airbricks that also seem in a strange place).

Seems to me that they are giving up some of their land and rights to get on with the build in the best way possible. Not sure why you think they or the builder is so bad for trying to move their job on. If they are not building as per plans then you have legal recourse but if it is not on your land can't see why you would not let them complete with least animosity.

Hope you manage to work it out with them.