Ditch or fix: rustiest shed you’ve ever seen

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Dandelion, Jun 27, 2021.

1. Dandelion

Dandelion New Member

Hey all,
    Need your wisdom before I buy a lot of materials needlessly. I have purchased a property with the rustiest metal shed I’ve ever seen. Attached are some pictures.

While googling restoration tips for rusty sheds, most are just upgrading sheds that have some rust. Not sheds that are basically entirely made up of rust like this one. Worried this shed might not be worth the effort to take the rust off, prime, and paint. Also, the front doors are missing and would need to be replaced.

Found another thread here with tips on how to handle the job: https://community.screwfix.com/threads/preparing-and-painting-rusted-metal-shed.223109/

Seems doable but I think it would cost me about $250 in materials if I get an inexpensive sandblaster, primer, paint, and spray gun. I have no idea how much the replacement doors would cost.

Alternatively, Lowe’s is selling a brand new DIY metal shed kit of about the same size for about $400. For comparison, I know the wooden sheds of this size in my area would cost between $2750-$3000. Trying to not spend a lot of money on this as we will only store lawn stuff and tools in there.

What’s your take: ditch or fix the current structure?

Attached Files:

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Think you already know the answer!

3. Roys

Roys Active Member

Ditch