ditra mat adhesive

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by chip off the block, Sep 18, 2007.

1. chip off the block

chip off the block New Member

what adhesive is used for sticking ditra matting down to floor boards as i have heard all sort being used.

I use f44 or f40 cant remeber which and it seems to work fine but would like other input

2. stan794

stan794 New Member

SPF with 3mm notch trowel. Some people use Ardex contact addy.

3. chip off the block

spf is that a bal ad? do dunlop make simlar. the stuff i use is stucco bond f44 which is like contact ad but its messy stuff

4. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

I'm pretty sure that Ditra matting is the same as the Kerdi matting, Rapidset flexible adhesive should be used, not a single part slow set.

5. chip off the block

NO kerdi is for walls and joining ditra matting.

6. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

I wasn't saying that Kerdi was the same material as Ditra, I was saying that the fixing adhesive is the same, a rapidset flexible cementuous adhesive should be used.

By the way, Kerdi matting is for floors too.

7. chip off the block

but if i use a cement based adhesive to stick it down i might as well not use it and stick the tiles straight down with that. Never used kerdi as its always on timber floors so i use ditra to allow more fexability

8. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

Why are you using ditra matting on your floor, Is it a wet room?

The ditra won't be enough on it's own to make the floor strong enough to tile onto.

Floor boards need to be over boarded

9. chip off the block

ditra matting is used as a means to allow movement of the substrate without cracking the tiles. Over boarding add alot of height (15mm if done to correct regs/standards).

10. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

Yes that's right but it doesn't work, I always overboard, 12mm is perfectly acceptible for ceramic/Porcelain, 18mm ply or 12mm Aquapanel glued and screwed for stone.

I have ripped up a lot of Ditra over the years, it's just not good enough

11. chip off the block

fair enough. i have never had a problem with it but then again i ensure that boards are in good condition and fixed properly. I prefer to rip the floor up and and fix 18-22mm ply(match exsiting boards). I go by dunlops recommendations which state minimum 15mm ply for over boarding

12. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

You have to remember why a lot of the Manufacturers recomend 15mm ply for overboarding- you can't get hold of the stuff easily, people don't want to go to the expense/height of 18mm so the next nearest is 12mm ply which of course invalidates any guarantee from the manufacturer.

It's all been carefully thought out.

The company I used to work for only ever used 9mm ply for overboarding, in 10 years of doing this we never had a problem, I now like to go belt and braces and use 12mm ply just to be safe ;)

13. chip off the block

never really thought of it that way but then again i can get 15mm ply as easy as any other

14. chip off the block

maybe your right i just mesured the stuff in my garage from about 2 year ago and its 12mm