Diverter lever for shower/bath mixer tap

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Suziegirl64, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Suziegirl64

Suziegirl64 New Member

45BE5E6D-2836-4D95-9E84-C33A6D79C910.jpeg Hi

The diverter lever is missing from the shower/bath mixer tap. Is this something I could replace myself or do I need a plumber?

If I could do it myself - what do I need to buy?

I appreciate your advice
    Suzie

2. No, you don't need a plumber but you will need a spanner!
    The hard part is identifying the mixer taps so that you can order the right bit.

3. Suziegirl64

Suziegirl64 New Member

Ah thanks. So it’s not a bog standard type of fixing? I don’t think there’s a brand visible on the taps. How would I go about identifying them?
    If I can’t identify, will I need to replace the whole unit? Until I can fix it, would I be able to divert the water flow from tap to shower with a spanner?

4. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

It does look like a very standard mixer, but the problem is there are lots of similar mixers.
    It might be best to to have a plumber replace the mixer. Not expensive, and the cost of a plumber trying to source a part on at least 2 visits could be more than just 2 hours labour perhaps max to just replace it all.
    The remaining part of diverter valve could be raised by using pliers or vice grip pliers when water flows out of spout, so to divert it to shower each time

retiredsparks and KIAB like this.
  5. Suziegirl64

Suziegirl64 New Member

That seems like sound advice. Thank you

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Easier to fit a new mixer, rather than hunt the handle for a unknown brand of mixer.

7. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

Does this look like a pull-up type diverter, or does the hex head suggest it has a sideways acting lever?

Suzie, can you pull that brass part upwards against a spring action? And when you release it it pops back down again? (Except when the water is flowing, in which case it should remain up under water pressure to divert to the shower).

If you can rotate it, does it travel through a short 'arc' or go round and round?

(I wonder how the missing knob is fixed on?

8. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

Unless finding a replacement handle is dead easy, then the best plan is as everyone says above - replace the whole thing.

This will be dead easy for a plumber - comfortably under an hour's work so hopefully one they could fit in on the way, or from, a larger job - and would at least be money well spent.

9. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

It's dead easy for a plumber - if they can get at it.

People seem to overlook future maintenance when they tile the bath in or fit taps against an inaccessible wall........ grrrr

Heat, KIAB, Allsorts and 1 other person like this.
  10. ramseyman

ramseyman Screwfix Select

Yes, especially double ended baths with taps against the far wall!

Heat, KIAB and WillyEckerslike like this.
  11. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

These 'inexpensive' plumbers of which you speak.
    Which part of the UK would that be ?
    :)
    Rs

Jamieclarkson7867 and Heat like this.
  12. Suziegirl64

Suziegirl64 New Member

Thanks everyone. I think a plumber is the best bet.

13. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

When I said - “Not expensive”, I meant the replacement shower mixer. :)
    I also meant a plumber would probably waste more time looking at the old mixer, searching for a part and coming back, rather than just being called to fit a new mixer.

retiredsparks likes this.
  14. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Probably it is the pull up type diverter. That design of mixer seems to always have that.
    Something could be improvised to work as a knob, I am sure.
    Still, time factor is a problem

15. Suziegirl64

Suziegirl64 New Member

Ok I’ve located the correct part and ordered it. Is it easy for me to fit myself?

164C6DCF-486E-4E02-9472-93093553F43A.jpeg

16. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

Good lord! You did this and you're a girl?!

Almost certainly it'll be a simple fit, although it's hard to tell how exactly it fits.

Once you get the knob, it'll hopefully be obvious how it clips on.

17. retiredsparks

It's a spring loaded bobbin mechanism.
    In the photo it looks like there is a screw hole which would hold the knob down to the spindle.
    However.
    In the schematic it's not shown ( as in the tap handle details) but I strongly suspect that it is.
    Yes it will be easy to fit.
    RS

18. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

In the drawing it looks slightly different, but hopefully is the same.
    The diverter control will come as one complete part (number 13) and you might be able to tighten it in from below the knob, but you will only know when can see it for real.
    To remove the old control you need a spanner to be fully tight to the flat faces of the shaft and turn anti-clockwise

19. retiredsparks

And turn the water off first......:rolleyes:
    ;)
    RS

Suziegirl64 likes this.
  20. Suziegirl64

Suziegirl64 New Member

Haha very funny!! :p
    I asked a plumber and he took one look at the photo and said that’s a Bristan tap. Amazing! I contacted Bristan and they identified the part I needed and Bob’s yer Uncle!

just pumps, Allsorts and Heat like this.