DIY advice re plasterboard/tanking

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by TheMixMonkey, Aug 1, 2019.

1. TheMixMonkey

TheMixMonkey New Member

Morning all

After a bit of advice with my soon to start shower project.

1. Can i plasterboard over existing tiles using dot & dab before adding new tiles or would you recommend removing them to be on the safe side - they look in pretty good nick to be fair, just concerned that i might make more work for myself as one side of the cubicle is stud and potentially damaging the existing plasterboard whilst removing.

1a. If that's a yes, can i use ordinary plasterboard and tank it - as i'll be tanking the whole area just wondering if it's worth the few extra quid for the moisture resistant stuff

2. I'll be taking up the entire floor whilst im there as it's squeaking chipboard :mad: and will replace it with 12mm ply. Is it worth going to the expense of using marine ply - at least under the shower side of the room? I''m a "big boned" bloke and am paranoid af about water getting down behind the tray due to movement, a bit unlikely i know as it's a 30mm stone resin tray but still, my lounge tv is directly underneath the shower :eek: and given the state of the ceiling, water damage from the existing bath has been a consistent problem for the previous owner... so any tips to minimise the risk?

thanks

Stool

2. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

I'm no expert, but I'd rip it all out and replace using hardiebacker or similar. Plenty of threads on this topic if you do a search.

3. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Take the old tiles off, clean off adhesive and pattch plaster.

On the stud wall - just take down teh board completely and replace with Hardie Backer or similar straight on the studs.

12mm ply for teh floor - no way. You need at least 18mm - and going for quality ply is a good investment.

Even think about a tanking mewmbrane on teh floor, taking it 300mm up the walls - if you are paranoid.

4. TheMixMonkey

TheMixMonkey New Member

Thanks guys

5. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

+1 on everything said so far. I tend to put 18mm ply on top of the existing board/chip floor for extra solidity. I also use the dunlop tanking kit which has gloop, tape and sheet to completely tank off a regular shower - floor, walls, corners. I then silicon the tray to the wall as its installed, and tile down to the tray. https://www.dunloptrade.com/products/shower-waterproofing-kit