DIY attic conversion

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Louie007, Apr 3, 2019.

?

Need help don't no wear to start

1. Help

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. Help

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

As long as you are adept at DIY and depending on the spec not hard at all but as stated by others there can be a raft of rules to follow if you want to do it legit. Do a search on "Loft" (tick titles only) and look at thread dated 24 Jan 2019

2. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

Very interesting Hugh but a bit of a pointless response to the OP as its brought nothing whatsoever to the party.(unless you are after some plaudits/commissions?)

3. CJASENG

CJASENG Member

The only thing Architects bring to the party is a pretty picture, the good advice comes from tradesmen, well seasoned DIYers and Civil/structural engineers. :p:)

4. gas monkey

gas monkey Well-Known Member

Everyone to there Owen but the last arch I employed I drew up what I wanted gave it to him to sign and came back with someone else's sack him and did it myself as I said do it prop but don't pay for sub standard job done not a rocket job

Louie007 likes this.
  5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Staircase is way to steep to comply!

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

[QUOTE="gas monkey, post: 1698527,
    Be safe do it right just do not pay through the nose if you haven't got to can get round a lot of this red tape so stop being put of by fear mungorers[/QUOTE]

monkey, no one is trying to scare him, simply encouraging him to do it correctly as done properly it will benefit if he comes to sell the property rather than cost him and lose him money without the signing off paperwork.

7. CJASENG

CJASENG Member

The Russians also built a Nuclear reactor in Chernobyl that didn't end too well...probably best not to glorify their architecture/engineering too high buddy. I'm pretty sure most of their historic architecture was built before Building Control as well.

Louie007 likes this.
  8. Louie007

Louie007 Member

Cheers bud thanks for all your input. Probably the. Most helpful on hear

9. Louie007

Louie007 Member

Sorry severntrent I can't find that. Any wear. "Loft" (tick titles only) can you possibly send a link please buddy.

10. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

The most helpful advice is from those telling you to avoid devaluing your house and endangering your neighbours

Astramax likes this.
  11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Not worth the time advising the idiot, he's had many reply's to his question but fails to understand or doesn't want to heed the responses.

12. gas monkey

monkey, no one is trying to scare him, simply encouraging him to do it correctly as done properly it will benefit if he comes to sell the property rather than cost him and lose him money without the signing off paperwork.[/QUOTE]

mr a hopfully but it was sounding very negative at the begining

Louie007 likes this.
  13. gas monkey

just here to help sir
    been away from the party had work to do
    you can get a certificate of regulation
    it cost the same as b/c
    but without plans/depending on the worknamship it can fly through it did on a project i took over from

14. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Leave your attic alone. Get a professional in if you want to convert it properly.

15. gas monkey

The professionals in my first trade have killed people and gone to prison for it all corgi or AXA trained so know all sides get informed then make an informed decision I know i want put people in danger and believe others want so that's how I support anyone willing to have a go and with the correct support the don't
    But since professionals in my first trade must have not had this and some how killed people they worked for very very sad but true

16. Louie007

Louie007 Member

Hello all. Just one small little detail I missed out lol. Its a council house. That's why the down low approach. And a I will eventually be looking to buy this property. And never selling.

17. Louie007

Louie007 Member

C the problem is I'm overcrowded. 4 kids +2 in 2 bed house. And the council won't move me. Plus I love it hear. And like I sed. I will be looking to buy with the right to buy scheme. So I need to waight about 8 years to get the maximum amount of discount with is 80.500. Witch my property is worth around 200/220. So so would be a decent discount. That's why I want to do the conversion on the down low. Till I can buy. Like I sed not looking to go anywhere.

18. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Save your money and buy elsewhere it will always be a blighted house! :D

19. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Wouldn't the house value increase in this time?

20. gas monkey

sorted good luck