DIY Cavity Wall Insulation (Small Area)

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by fred812, Nov 8, 2017.

1. fred812

fred812 Screwfix Select

60's semi. Had the blown fibre stuff installed many (over 10) years ago, company no longer trading. Later had a few cold spots and got another company to do a top up a couple of years ago, they got quite a bit in but I've still got a cold spot in one corner. The company that did the top up also no longer exists.

As I know this esteemed community will be wondering, the cold spot is measured with an infrared thermometer.Its very noticeable even to the touch, but also measurable.

So I've been wondering if I could do it myself? I know the cavity isn't capped, so ...
    1. I hire a cherry picker, take a few tiles off, probably two or three to get to the top of the cavity, and manually push some fibre into the cavity, or
    2. Drill through to the cavity and somehow blow some fibre into the cavity?
    The area concerned is a about 600mm x 600mm.

Any thoughts

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Use Wallrock Thermal Liner or similar on the inside wall.
    Option 2 remove the concrete block on the inside, using sds plus mortar, done it a few times over the years to gain access to the cavity to remove blown in insulation.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  3. fred812

fred812 Screwfix Select

Thanks KIAB option 2 is a possibility. Any idea where I can source a bag of the material?