DIY multi fuel burner

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by John Bunyan, Mar 9, 2023.

1. John Bunyan

John Bunyan Active Member

Are you allowed to install your own burner without permission?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2023
  2. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

You have to get it signed off by building regs, or the better option is a friendly stove installer!;)
    I have fitted two myself in the past, and in our current house fitted the stove, and flue and built my own false chimney breast also, it's pretty straightforward work, (but time-consuming) apart from some of the regs which are ignored by all the stove fitters (and probably by most building regs officers) if you followed them to the letter of the law it would mean you would have to fit your stove three feet out from the edge of the wall in some instances! http://postimg.cc/4HJ1bWKX http://postimg.cc/WFZyfYbrhttp://postimg.cc/1fWZFTg5

John Bunyan likes this.
  3. Alan22

Alan22 Screwfix Select

You can fit it, but if in England you need it signed off to get your Hetas cert, if you do it right it's just a safety check then they commission it, the certificate means you can then insure, sell it with the house etc, the council can also do it.

DBCDIY and John Bunyan like this.
  4. Alan22

Alan22 Screwfix Select

150mm from combustibles??

John Bunyan likes this.
  5. John Bunyan

Thank goodness for that. I've fitted my own and followed the requirements I saw on line. Something is not right though but got to go out now so will pick your brains on the issue in a few hours ;)

6. John Bunyan

@mr moose @Alan22
    If after I politely tell the landlord of the renter next door that the roofer said the huge chimney pot on the roof is dangerous and he's not interested and I have no other choice but to inform the council about it, is it possible someone from the council could question the multi fuel cowl I have and ask me if I have a certificate? At some point I will see if a fitter will inspect it and sign it m off.

7. John Bunyan

I wonder if you have any ideas what could be the issue with the burner I've just installed at our house. I don't think it's got enough draw, and/or I put the wrong scrap softwood in last night because smoke was escaping out the top vent and the top corner of the door. It was getting smokey in the room. Soot blacked out the window and bitumin was running down from the stove pipe door!

8. Alan22

Alan22 Screwfix Select

Yes, ask him to sign it off.

9. Alan22

Alan22 Screwfix Select

Firstly I thought it was a new stove, by bitumen do you mean creosote? if you have an old flue and someone used it to burn pine you can get a build up of creosote, likewise if you are burning wood that is not dry enough, should be below 20% moisture content, ideally 15%.

If you light a fire and the air in the flue is cold it can block warm air escaping, warming by burning some newspaper helps but not an ideal set up, flue could be too short or too many angles.

Lastly it sounds like the door on the stove is not sealed, new rope needed, or the door is warped with heat, that's on top of a questionable flue.

My advice is get an installer, they will check it is safe and working, then sign it off.

John Bunyan likes this.
  10. John Bunyan

Yes it is a new stove. When the house was modernized about 26 years ago the builders took the old gas fire out and told my wife (who I didn't know then) they were putting a flue in in case she ever gets a stove. If they did, then it's never been used. I connected that to a stove pipe and got a roofer to cut the gas cowl off (which makes me wonder why the builders didn't put a stove cowl on) and cement a burner cowl on.
    I don't really know the difference between a gas flue and multi fuel flue, but it looked and felt quite strong and sturdy. If it's a gas flue what would happen?

11. Alan22

Alan22 Screwfix Select

A gas flue would melt, that might have been what was dripping out your stove:)

12. John Bunyan

Oh heck :mad:
    Seriously though, it was black tar as in creosote. I need to look up flues

13. Alan22

Alan22 Screwfix Select

Get the chimney swept, they will tell you if you have creosote in the flue, and what sort of flue it is, it might just be water or something coming down the chimney.

14. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Do you have a co2 alarm installed near the stove ? If not I suggest you get 1 fitted

DBCDIY and Astramax like this.
  15. John Bunyan

Well I was thinking about getting it swept but it's only had two poor fires so it's highly unlikely to need sweeping. The black tar is highly likely to be creosote. Can't think of anything else that would look like jet black tar and feel and act the same.

16. John Bunyan

Yes I have one on the fire surround. It went off tonight when I tried to start a fire. I'll not be doing that again till I fix the problem. Had all the windows and doors open to boot

17. Sparkielev

You need to get someone out get it checked, my stove after 18months set my alarm off I was spark out on the sofa with my dog, I had sore throat and headache so opened every window took dog out, I have replaced stove, turns out installer didn't seal joints on flue he gave me hetas certificate which means nothing so when I catch up with him it's going down his throat, my dog wants a word with him as well

Jord86, John Bunyan and Bazza-spark like this.
  18. John Bunyan

That's really bad he never fitted it properly. Maybe you could discreetly inform Hetas of bad practice. Fitting one for yourself doesn't quite carry the same level of responsibility as going around fitting loads for other other people.

19. Sparkielev

If hetas are like napit,and niceic which they probably are then it's pointless informing them

John Bunyan likes this.
  20. DBCDIY

DBCDIY Screwfix Select

This reads like Pilgrim's Progress, John Bunyan, as you appear to be on a somewhat dangerous journey...without the awareness to protect yourself or others in your household!

John Bunyan likes this.