DIY multi fuel burner

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by John Bunyan, Mar 9, 2023.

1. John Bunyan

John Bunyan Active Member

I mentioned the colors of the deposits in the flue earlier and there is some white there, just found this..
    Signs of a blocked chimney and its flue liner include:
    1. An excessive smell of smoke during a fire.
    2. A white residue on the walls of the flue liner.
    3. Water leakage.
    4. Debris falling towards the base of the fireplace.

2. John Bunyan

I definitely got 1, 2, and 4 so when I do what Rosso suggested tomorrow it could well show the liner is blocked. Appy days our kid.

3. Alan22

Alan22 Active Member

Wood stoves are not this complicated, it's a metal box with a tube to let the smoke out, get a bit of string with a nut tied at one end and drop it down the flue till your wife can see it at the stove end, take the register plate out first.

I think your bigger problem is the black stuff, it is clearly toxic and there seems to be no explanation, you can't use it till that is out, are you sure someone has not been burning poly bags in it or something? whatever that is it shouldn't be there.

John Bunyan and Sparkielev like this.
  4. John Bunyan

I'll do that when the nut. Apparently that black stuff seems to be creosote. I don't know what's going on at the moment. I did what Rosso suggested and some smoke was coming into the room but not all. A friend is here Monday to light smoke bombs while I go in the loft and on the roof. I may put a bag over the cowl. The original builder or roofer could have got something down it.

5. Alan22

Alan22 Active Member

If you are going on the roof do the string test before you smoke the house out.

If you really think the black stuff is creosote there is something you have not told us...it takes a lot of dodgy pallets or green spruce to build that much;)

Sparkielev likes this.
  6. John Bunyan

No honestly, I've done around 3 fires with dry wood. There's no point in me wasting your time and my time by being silly. I'll find a website I read something on and post it.

7. Alan22

Alan22 Active Member

Has someone else used the flue before you to burn enough wood to get a creosote build up? if not I don't know how else you could get creosote?

8. John Bunyan

9. John Bunyan

I've not read everything on that web page but i don't think it says you need lots of fires with a blocked liner to create those issues.
    A friend who has a stove without a liner was thinking the liner could be leaking and the smoke that escapes would then be trapped between the liner and brickwork. It wouldn't then be able to get out the top because of the flaunching in this case. I don't have a pot. The roofer cut the gas cowl off and mortared the stove cowl. Else the liner could be leaking and smoke going into loft space.

10. John Bunyan

My wife says the last thing to be used in that fireplace was a gas fire 26 years ago. The liner has been left unused for 26 years.
    I've probably asked this several times, could it be a gas liner and the 3 fires I've has knackered it for want of a better word? And is there a way to tell by looking whether it's a gas or stove liner? I've looked online about this but can't find anything. The pictures of the two looks very similar. Apart from I didn't see any arrows on this that a stove liner seems to have?

11. John Bunyan

Checked the stove's instructions and it says 5 inch flue so that's ok. I'm still not sure it's a stove liner though. If it hasn't got arrows does that mean it's not fit for a stove? It's quite sturdy metal but if it's a gas liner could the 3 fires I've had knackered it?

12. Alan22

Alan22 Active Member

Mine doesn't have arrows on it, as far as I can gather a gas flue is just a steel tube, not rated for heat as far as I know but it would still take a longer burn to heat it up enough to melt it.

I think we are close to all chipping in to pay for a sweep to come round and just sort it.

John Bunyan likes this.
  13. ramseyman

ramseyman Screwfix Select

Agreed! No, 3 fires wouldn’t have harmed it. As others have said drop something down the chimney, if it’s not obstructed it’s your connection at the stove end.

John Bunyan likes this.
  14. Alan22

Alan22 Active Member

Did you work out what this was?...

80488-1a7e485deeac34a71fad0f088e9ca180.jpg

If this is a damper..and it's closed...

John Bunyan likes this.
  15. John Bunyan

Keep talking Alan ;)

16. John Bunyan

I'm on it and will report back on Monday. Thanks for your help :)