DIY Plywood Worktops

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by meowork, Feb 19, 2019.

Tags:
  1. meowork

meowork Member

We've inherited a home with already fitted 18mm ply kitchen worktops but never surface finished.
    They are sound and fit well.
    What could I face them with to finish off?
    Tiles or other?
    Thankyou..

2. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

I like tiled worktops but I'm in the minority I think. You'll need to give thought to what to do on such a thin front edge

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Tiles![​IMG] [​IMG]

Wack another layer of ply on top,at least you'll have a better thickness & a decent edge for lipping worktop.

4. meowork

meowork Member

Thanks for replies..
    I would add edges with hardwood as attached pic. Would also allow more strip height so tile or other surface finish is flush with top of edge strips. Could i put nice thin battens on top of ply to get perhaps a stripe look using different woods?

Attached Files:

5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Would that be Brisbane AU?

6. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

That's where the guy is based. Excess baggage charges I reckon. Tiles are heavy.

7. meowork

meowork Member

I'm thinking of putting down 18mm Furniture Board (fixed to the ply). The board is pine. Would this work?. Any 'how to' on treating it?. Maybe other alternatives?. Best place to buy? (cost etc)

8. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

I'm not sure if it's still available but Formica could be an option. It used to be available in large sheets all sorts of colours and patterns and supplied cut into strips if needed. IMHO it's also far more durable than melamine. It was used on all kitchen units and worktops probably well into the 70's maybe 80's + diy or bought.

Personally I wouldn't worry about thickness for strength. I have a bench I made years ago bit like a large pedestal desk. 1/2" ply top covered in formica. I can walk around on top of it, all 90kg+ of me.

John
    -

9. meowork

meowork Member

Thanks for this John. Where might be the cheapest to buy some cut to size?

10. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

Can't help there. Maybe best option would be to web search. There seems to be some places about that sell offcuts and sheets. If one local maybe they can cut to size for you.

I have cut the stuff in the past using a goscut. Use that to a bit oversize and finish with a file / sandpaper etc.

To be honest I get annoyed because no one sells the melamine that goes on worktops. People about will make things up complete and thermally bond it on. Sound technical but there are paint on thermal adhesives about that domestic iron will melt. Might be another option if one about - take the worktops to them. Maybe formica too. I believe they use laminate trimming router cutters on that but they can only remove a bit without chipping.

John
    -

11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Just Google laminate sheets and there are plenty of suppliers.

12. Vixere

Vixere Active Member

Helloooo meowork.

Lots of options here. In addition to the above ideas, if you don't like the look of normal tiles you can consider large ones like 600mm x 600mm which will look pretty much like full tops when you have only the odd grout line between them. Some are even available in 600mm x 900mm sizes. Usually designed for floors, so will be very durable as tops. Not even expensive - many available from around £20 m2.

Or how about stick-on vinyl 'planks'? Again designed for flooring, so very durable - should be as good as laminate tops. One of the best is Forbo Allura which is superb stuff. See https://www.remlandcarpets.co.uk/vinyl-floor-tiles/forbo-allura for examples. Obviously don't place frying pans straight on them - fit worktop rails near the cooker to take pans and stuff.

For both ideas, find a suitable timber front edging - keep it 'wood' or paint it to compliment the units fascias.

Lots to be said for tiles - I'm getting a bit tired of the ones I fitted in our kitchen, but have to say it's the only surface that would have coped with my wife over the past 15 years; she cuts and chops and slices straight on there, places searingly hot frying pans straight on, leaves puddles of water and foodstuffs... :-(