Diy shed door with little wood work experience

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by MR HARRY, Sep 26, 2017.

1. MR HARRY

MR HARRY Member

Hello

After much deliberation and little funds I've decided to build my own shed door (French door). This will be comprised of acrylic glass and sheets of hard timber (3 layers).

My question is, is it possible to construct door like this. 3 layers of timber strips with the middle layer being a thinner width to accommodate and seal the glass. I don't know how to make the fancy wood joiners, so I'm just going to use wood glue and screws. Is this possible?

Thanks

2. L3w1s

L3w1s New Member

Sounds very possible. May not be the best looking though. And there may be easier options such as just buying a cheap door. The hardest bit will be hanging it I guess.
    But I'm sure there's other opinions to follow

3. AdeDaniel

AdeDaniel New Member

This is interesting, because I'm planning to build a set of 1950s Police box panels and doors to make a porch. Like you, I don't much fancy diving head first into the fancy joinery associated with door making and then making a mess of it. I figured I'd be safest sticking with what I know - which is to add, rather than remove, material to create the joinery.

What you're proposing could, of course, be done using a router to cleave a profile in the wood to accomodate the glass panels. This is the preferred method but then there is the expense and learning curve that comes with routing. Something I'd rather practice with before attempting a complex project like making a door.

I've been advised that it may make the overall build heavier, but I will compensate for that by over-engineering the frame and using heavy duty hinges.

So I'd say - at least look into routers first and decide if you want to have a go. Otherwise, stick to what you're comfortable with.

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

'Laminating' and 'outside' are not necessarily two words that work well together!

5. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Sheet of ply. Cover it in whatever you want would be stronger

6. MR HARRY

MR HARRY Member

I've decided to purchase a router, because they are awesome and it seems like the best way of adding windows. I'm a bit stuck on what kind of wood to use though. I'm thinking of using 6x1" sawn treated timber because it's cheap. But i'm not sure if this is adequate building material for an exterior door. Hardwood is also very expensive, and since i'm adding acrylic windows, it would seem stupid to have oak wood.

7. AdeDaniel

AdeDaniel New Member

Nothing wrong with acrylic windows, mate. I'll be using them on my row of windows, which span the upper wall of my workshop, like so: Screenshot 2016-08-29 17.14.02.png
    Except, they are not going to be very secure in a door, if security in your area is a concern. As for the wood, I'll be using tanalised 4x2 for my frames. These will hopefully resist the weather well, without warping at a cheaper price.
    Alternatively, you might just be better off, sourcing some French doors from a reclamation yard. But one thing I am curious about - why French doors? Does this mean they will be glass from top to bottom?

8. MR HARRY

MR HARRY Member

What program is that?

9. AdeDaniel

AdeDaniel New Member

Google Sketchup. I'm using the free version. Which is surprisingly powerful. I found it very easy to learn. I have designed my larger theatre props (furniture) and the carcass of the workshop I'm currently building.

I find it really helps with problem solving and executive planning of projects.