DIY spark. Trouble with extractor fan

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by Shankmaster1, Sep 15, 2022.

1. Shankmaster1

Shankmaster1 New Member

Attempting to wire in a Manrose Gold timer fan. Neutral, switched live and constant live all connected as shown on instruction leaflet. Timer adjustment turned down to minimum but fan keeps running and does not stop when turned off at switch. Flummoxed. Could this be a faulty timer switch ?

2. Shankmaster1

Shankmaster1 New Member

I should maybe add that when I connect up the wires and switch the power back on, the fan remains off. But when I operate the light switch, the fan comes on but fails to go off when I switch off. If that makes sense.

3. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

Try the timer adjustment on a different setting to see if it makes any difference.

4. chesterw

chesterw Well-Known Member

That's what its supposed to do, you should also have a 3 pole isolator/pull cord for the fan

5. Shankmaster1

Shankmaster1 New Member

Well played A.T.J. That seems to have worked. I reset the timer to halfway and switched on. Fan went off after about 20 mins. Turned down to minimum and it stopped after approx 3 mins (although min supposed to be 1 minute). Hopefully that’s it fixed and doesn’t turn out to be an intermittent fault. Thanks again A.T.J.

AnotherTopJob likes this.
  6. Shankmaster1

Shankmaster1 New Member

Thanks Chester

7. Michael Davies

Michael Davies New Member

I have just fitted a new fan in my daughters on suite. Connected the 3 wires in the right fixings. Replaced the isolating switch. Tested the live at LS block and have live there when lights turned on but fan does not come on.
    Reconnected L and the fan comes on when the isolator is switched on but does not go off. Tried various delay timings but runs forever. Have to use the fan on and off with the isolation switch Help?

8. chesterw

chesterw Well-Known Member

Always best to start a new thread for maximum interest