DIY Tiler! Equipment list...

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by thestraycat, Sep 23, 2022.

1. thestraycat

thestraycat Member

Hey guys,

I'm looking at taking on some small tiling jobs round the house to test the waters as i've been researching on and off for around 2 months now nd want to get stuck in. (The only way to find out is to have a go right?)

I'm thinking of tackling the porch first (1m x 2m) then the downstairs WC (2.5m x 1m) both are retangular spaces.

I have a 115mm angle grinder and will pickup a diamond wheel for it kicking about but was trying to decide whether to pick up a manual straight tile cutter as well as 90% of my cuts will be perimeter cuts?

Looking at using porcelain 20cm x 20cm fomat tiles.

1. Can anyone advise on what type of cutter to go for manual or electric wet to go with my angle grinder.
    2. Can anyone suggest a good tile cutter model, potentially from screwfix? (I'm not looking at making it in the profession just need the right tools for these small jobs.)
    3. Maybe just let me know what other tools you think are essential to the job?

Any info would be great guys - I'd really appreciate it.

Cheers.

2. McSport

McSport Screwfix Select

DIYer

I used a Vitrex manual cutter for my recent kitchen tiling job. Worked fine. Mixed reviews. You will probably get better suggestions.
    The 115mm diamond wheel on my angle grinder was excellent for intricate cuts. Abracs from the other place. Creates a LOT of dust. Outside with decent goggles and mask.
    Bought some diamond wheels for my Dremel. Didn't use them much.

Bucket trowel for mixing adhesive. Used non-rapid powdered adhesive and took my time.
    Tiling trowel
    Grout float
    Sponge - I found a microfibre cloth great for post grouting clean up. Very little polishing required.
    Cramer profiling tool kit for silicone. Expensive but good.
    A straight bit of timber with tile spacing marked to ensure no silly cuts

3. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

I would recommend using ARDEX X7 powdered adhesive (not the X7R rapid) and get a paddle mixer for about £5-6 which will make it easier.

Then use ARDEX grout which comes in many colours with silicon to match.