DIY Work Desk

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Iron_Mike, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

Hi

I am looking to furnish a room that is relatively small.

I have had a look at the desks sold by IKEA and think they are relatively expensive for what they are.

My plan is to get a couple of storage drawers from IKEA and then create my own desktop from an offcut of some sturdy plywood.

Then put this on top of the storage drawers in order to create a cost effective desk.

I plan to manipulate the height of the desktop so it sits over the top of the radiator and below the edge of the window board.

The radiator is directly below the window looking out of the room.

In order to manipulate the height of the desktop, is my best bet to use pieces of the same height wood to manipulate the height ?

Any advice appreciated. Is my first attempt at trying to do some bespoke carpentry.

Have chosen a task that should be relatively simple I hope.

Cheers

IM

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Using kitchen base units to support desk here, 500mm drawer unit one end & two 500mm base units other end & knocked up 6x1 pse frame for them to sit on.

3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

So many ways to achieve this, depends on how much you need to raise desk top by;

Batten tops of drawer units, sit ply on top, small angle brackets to secure top to batten

Is the height between top and drawers enough to be usable space ?

If so, just batten 3 edges of drawers, leaving front open for storage (if usable gap)

If a greater height than readily available battens, just cut strips from 18mm MDF to height, secure with brackets as above

What will you be finishing the ply top with ?
    Untreated will soon get grubby

Iron_Mike and kitfit1 like this.
  4. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Was thinking the same thing. Ply is really not the best of things to use for a Desktop. I would go for 18mm or 22mm MDF. Can then be painted to match the storage draws, or a contrasting colour to the draws to match another colour in the room.

Iron_Mike and KIAB like this.
  5. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Agreed. It's difficult to get a smooth and comfortable edge on the ply which will chafe on your arms as you work.

6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

:rolleyes: Could lip the front edge then sand and paint

KIAB likes this.
  7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Plenty of idea's on Pinterest.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Iron_Mike likes this.
  8. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

Thanks for the above advice. I will get some mdf and paint that.

I will then prime and paint it.

I don't think the gap will be usable space.

9. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

If using the desk as say a home office with a pc and keyboard, need to consider what paint finish to use on desk carefully

It’s amazing how much damage and wear a keyboard can inflict on the surface over a couple of years just by moving around during use

Make sure items on desk have felt/rubber feet to minimise damage and wear marks

I would think either an eggshell finish or look at Bedec Multi Surface Paint - it’s very nice and hardwearing. After priming and undercoating the MDF (I like the combined acrylic stuff by Leyland), 2 coats, rub down lightly between each coat P180, then the Bedec

Use a 4” foam roller for all coats, roll fairly slowly to avoid air bubbles, you should get a finish that looks like it’s been powder coated - almost totally flat, just a tiny even texture to it

Also that raw front edge of MDF needs some extra attention to get it looking good once painted. Either ‘lip’ it or loads info on previous posts about this subject

PS. Don’t know span of desk top but I would also batten wall between drawer units for additional fixings and support

Post some pics when done :)

Iron_Mike and KIAB like this.
  10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Hamilton 4" Prestige short felt roller sleeve give a great finish with water based paint.

Iron_Mike likes this.
  11. big all

big all Screwfix Select

my thoughts
    if enough room am offcut off worktop from the bxq offcut bin cut to size
    you need at least an inch above a radiator to allow the heat to escape from the back off the radiator
    iff the radiator is fully within the knee well you will loose a lot off heat output
    if there are thermostatic valves they will shut down when the valve is warm not the room

12. furious_customer

furious_customer Screwfix Select

Drawers! Too much New Yankee Workshop?

KIAB likes this.
  13. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

Cheers for the above advice. Will post up some pictures once it is done.