DIYnot and Allowing Racist Posts.

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Bobby Dazzler, Sep 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobby Dazzler

Bobby Dazzler Active Member

Well I didn't think there was much bigotry displayed on this forum, until I started this discussion. I've been flabbergasted at how much people misunderstand racism, and how much people want any criticism of it to be muted, and not to be criticised.

Let us take the most recent comment by unphased, He openly admits that the slang term used by ReganAnCarter on DIYnot is a pejorative term, but because it's used in the UK to refer to an ethnic group, he claims it's OK to use that term, and it's not racist.
    Does unphased know what pejorative means?

"Pikey" or "pikie" is a slang term, which is pejorative and is a derogatory term aimed towards Travellers. It is used in the UK to refer to Travellers. In a pejorative sense it means "a lower-class person", perhaps 'coarse' or 'disreputable'. It is not well received among Irish Travellers, as it is an ethnic slur.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Travellers

2. Bobby Dazzler

You mean I've been banned as well as my criticism of overt racism being deleted?
    Wow, that's one accolade I'll gratefully accept.

3. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

I've just found and used the ignore function for the first time ever.

rogerk101 and Joe the Plumber like this.
  4. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

You really do resemble a plank of wood don`t you.

5. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

A derogatory term, NOT a racist term. Racict "a person who shows or feels discrimination or prejudice against people of other races, or who believes that a particular race is superior to another."
    Derogatory "showing a critical or disrespectful attitude."

I think the reason you have invoked so much hostility towards you, Bobby, is you are trying, in a contrived way, to make the term "racist" apply to the "derogatory" term used on the DIYNot forum. That is why YOU were treated in the same way on there as you have been here. People who contrive to make something out of nothing is despicable in itself. People who misuse and misrepresent something to elicit self-righteousness in a misguided way. Placing themselves on an opinionated pedestal over holier than thou morals. Get over yourself, Bobby, what you are doing is worse than racism. Its using racism to fuel an argument where there is no foundation for it. You began this thread with what seemd like a fairly innocent comment but when you pointed out exactly what you were commenting about it was obviously a contrived and antagonistic attempt to brand someone a racist who clearly isn't. They may not have respect for the people they have targeted but it does NOT make them racist.

6. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

I would also point out another error in your original post where you claimed a deliberately misspelled word, to get around the censor, was because it was a racist word. Swear words and derogatory words, and words that can be construed as bad taste are also censored. Not just racist words. It is a fairly low level innocuous word in my opinion. It doesn't have to be used to target specifically Irish Travellers. It can be used as slang for a distasteful person for example. Bad taste yes. But racist? Absolutely not!!!

rogerk101 likes this.
  7. dinkydo

dinkydo Screwfix Select

you my friend have nailed it

8. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

I'll be right back.

I've just got to see how Bobby's complaint about @unphased is going down on the money saving expert forum....

Zed1001 likes this.
  9. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

Me too.
    Spent 5 minutes looking at posts on the other site and it is a clear as day what BD is all about.
    It surfaced in May 2020 and has posted +2K times there and every single one fits the term ...TROLL.

I am pretty sure it was banned under a different name(s) before.

Hans_25 and Jord86 like this.
  10. Bobby Dazzler

Have you ever tried discussing something by positing sensible and reasoned arguments?

11. Bobby Dazzler

First off, there is only one race, the human race.
    Race is a socially constructed word emanating from the the Victorian era when it was believed that there were several races. Modern science knows that to be outdated, old-fashioned and wrong. But the word 'race' is still used to refer to ethnicity, etc.
    Racism is now defined as discrimination against an ethnic group or a religious group.
    racism
    prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against a person or people on the basis of their membership of a particular racial or ethnic group, typically one that is a minority or marginalized.​
    If you wish to hang onto your out-dated, Victorian, old-fashioned opinion of what racism is and cling to the idea that the human race is made up of several races, then you are free to do so. But I should warn you, that that ideology is a racist ideology in itself.
    It relies on the opinion that there are different races to explain the different characteristics of races, and I am not only referring to physical appearances, such as skin colour. So cling to that ideology if you wish, but I may come back to that if you wish to pursue it.

Therefore, antagonism, prejudice or discrimination, use of pejorative or derogatory names against another ethnicity is racism.
    Furthermore, when you characterise the whole ethnic group, as ReganAndCarter has done on DIYnot, as 'bare knuckle fighters' or 'fly-tippers' he is absolutely being racist. And DIYnot protects him from criticism of his racist comments.

Your opinion and description of me, and my motives, is based on your misunderstanding of what racism is. You believe that your definition of racism is correct, but as I have illustrated above, your definition is outdated, based on Victorian attitudes, and plainly wrong.
    Therefore, if the basis for your opinion is misplaced, it follows that your description of me, and your understanding of my motives is also wrong.

12. Bobby Dazzler

Comment ignored as nonsense.

Then you have a fairly low level objection to racist behaviour.

See my response to your previous comment.

13. dinkydo

dinkydo Screwfix Select

I have reported this person as being a troll and I received a warning, my opinion has not changed and if I am banned so be it, we cannot all be wrong. I am amazed he she is allowed to make comments about others being racist on this forum and others, I am on the verge of reporting this to the appropriate authorities, what input next from SF will decide my actions

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  14. Bobby Dazzler

What an excellent idea, to present my complaints on other forums, besides a DIY forum.

Are you suggesting that unphased on this site is ReganAndCarter on DIYnot? Now wouldn't that be interesting?
    If that is so, ReganAndCarter aka unphased obviously can behave in a manner that is not racist, when he does not enjoy the special privilege of protection from the website, but when he has the opportunity to be racist, he can't resist that opportunity.
    It would also illustrate that he is aware of the protection afforded to him on DIYnot to practise his racism, and he exploits that opportunity to the full.

15. Zed1001

Zed1001 Member

16. Bobby Dazzler

I haven't suggested anyone on this forum has been or is racist, (notwithstanding the idea that unphased and ReganAndCarter may be the same person, based on the comment by WillyEckerslike.). I have expressed my amazement at so many posters feeling that complaints about racism should be muted or not mentioned. I have also expressed my amazement that some posters still do not understand what racism is. I have also explained the definition of racism to some who misunderstand it.
    I have also suggested that those who hang onto the Victorian ideology that the human race is composed of several races is a racist ideology in itself.

Please do report all of my comments to whomsoever you choose.
    I would like to think that we can have a sensible discussion about racism without resorting to insults, threats and name calling.
    The reason why i started this discussion is because my comments which were critical of ReganAndCarter's racist comments on DIYnot were deleted.
    As you may detect, all of my comments are based on reasoned arguments, and I do not feel the need to resort to insults and name calling.
    But I will relate events as I recollect them, and in my opinion, my allegations against ReganAndCarter, and DIYnot are accurate.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
  17. Zed1001

Zed1001 Member

You are the only person suggesting that.
    I'm also going to ignore you now. Its clear your just trying to provoke.

18. Bobby Dazzler

Suggesting what?
    I'm not trying to provoke anyone, merely responding to the criticism of my actions and comments, and explaining the modern understanding of racism and its reasons.
    If you find that provocative, then it is your problem.

19. Zed1001

Zed1001 Member

Suggesting unphased and Reganandcarter are one in the same. You're deliberately being nieve. This is the last comment I'm making on this topic.

20. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

If there is only one race of human's then how can anyone be racist against themselves?
    You say that only one race exists yet your argument insists that Irish travelers (pikeys) have a niche race all to themselves. How can this be, and how many others are out there?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.