DNO Supply: Location of cut-out - whose responsibility?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Johnst1a, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Screwfix Select

Because I have the current Landis & Gyr catalogue on my desk (we use quite a lot of their components) and it's not in there, their new plain credit meter in a white housing with smoother edges doesn't have an isolator built in.

2. spaceman76

spaceman76 Active Member

Well to put it bluntly I don't believe you :)

3. Tony Goddard

4. spaceman76

spaceman76 Active Member

Cause I just looked at one, although that was a pdf from their website. My bad ive been drinking

5. Tony Goddard

Yep, the PDF is still there for tech reference - the new residential meter is the E350, clever design, it can be a smart meter or a dumb meter depending on whether it has a communication module fitted. None of L&G's current line up have an isolator - don't get me wrong, I think it's a good idea and would love to know why makers keep giving up on it? also be interested to know if anyone knows of anyone still making a meter with combined isolator today, can't find any on google!

You are quite right they can't force you to have a smart meter (yet!), but I think they can fit one with the smart features disabled.

Here is the new L&G
    https://www.landisgyr.eu/product/landisgyr-e350-electricity-meter-new-generation/

6. Tony Goddard

No my bad, it's 11.52 on saturday night and I have yet to crack open a beer, I fear its too late, but now you've made me think about it,,, arrghh

7. spaceman76

spaceman76 Active Member

Looks like I got mine just in time then, excuse my manners I get carried away with things.

8. Tony Goddard

Hey, no worries - your idea is sound, if a meter like that can be had - another option is for the OP to buy a Wylex supply isolator
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/wylex-100a-dp-isolator-with-enclosure/321fr
    this is the one the DNO's use, only £14.50, ask for a meter upgrade and ask the meter fitter to put it in at the same time, so long as they get a non grumpy fitter they would probably do it!

9. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Supply Fuse as already stated will be in a GF DP Cupboard somewhere.

Personally I'd just do it live, no issues at all with no load connected! :rolleyes: