Do gas boilers vary the amount of gas they use?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by jonniejoejonson, Sep 21, 2022.

1. This sounds like a stupid question, but when you look online all the info says that a 35KW combi boiler will use 35KW of power if on for an hour. But surely that is only if the boiler is working to the maximum of its capacity.

eg. If I have a 35KW combi boiler and have it set to heat the water to 30 degrees and run the hot tap for 1 minute, it is going to consume less gas than if I had set it to heat the water to 70 degrees for 1 minute.

2. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

Modern boilers modulate the burner according to demand, so yes, it varies. Eg a boiler will modulate the flame right down to maintain temperature after the initial heat up.

jonniejoejonson and Cliff Rees like this.
  3. Tilt

Tilt Screwfix Select

Interesting eg question ...... but 30° is pretty cool / almost cold for water temperature.

Not sure how a combi would get water to that temp but it may be able to warm it slightly.

4. exbg

exbg Screwfix Select

***, he was just giving an example to
    Illustrate his point. And he is correct. If the boiler is rated at 35Kw, that eoreee are NYD the NAXIMUM rate - in practice it will be a great deal les.

Thank Good

5. Tilt

Tilt Screwfix Select

He didn't make a point .................. He asked a question.

6. exbg

exbg Screwfix Select

He was by making a point by asking the question.

And you are just being a ***

Squashrobinson likes this.
  7. Tilt

Tilt Screwfix Select

No, I am not being a ***

How do you know the op was just giving an example / making a point...........

Just because he put 'eg', doesn't mean it wasn't a genuine question.

Maybe you were being a *** by quoting me in the first place as my reply to the Op was perfectly reasonable.

Lets leave it there eh. :)