Do I have too do this as well!

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by split load, Jul 16, 2006.

1. steven willet

steven willet New Member

euston!
    there may be a problem!
    ANT, you may be correct, under certain
    applications!:)

fucking classic dumbo

2. Ant1981

Ant1981 New Member

3. bondy

bondy New Member

Well I know that about converting lofts. How did we
    get onto converting lofts?

Someone else has seen the 50mm rule, so I'm not the
    only one.

ive worked in loads of lofts and i have never seen ceiling joists bigger than 4x2. (we are talking traditional cut roofs here). so therefore, if you drill a 4x2 you fuckitup. it dont meet the 50mm requirements.

4. bondy

bondy New Member

5. Ant1981

Ant1981 New Member

How accurate is that wood pecker? Does he have interchangable beak sizes for different holes?

6. bondy

bondy New Member

just seen the time. got to go. got the too free h8 won in the morning.

7. Ant1981

Ant1981 New Member

Here's another thought. If you need to drop a cable down an outside perimeter wall, for say, a light switch, how do you get it down the wall if you people say you can't drill the wood? As the perimeter will be made of wood with the beams attatched to it.

8. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Ant stick to the guitar mate..for goodness sake.

9. Ant1981

Ant1981 New Member

Well answer the question. And as you're going to be so rude, you say you're not even an electrician, so what are you doing here?

10. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Well answer the question. And as you're going to be
    so rude, you say you're not even an electrician, so
    what are you doing here?

Excuse me mate I was multi trade..how on earth could I drum up time to get bits of paper?

11. Ant1981

Ant1981 New Member

Well its a valid question. If the perimeter is of wood and cant be drilled, how do you get the cables to drop IN the wall?

How can you say stick to guitar? I only just got qualified and am learning more and learning where to drill and not to drill. If I were messing up after years and years, then you could say that, but not now when I'm just starting.

12. Voltimax

Voltimax New Member

I take it these forums do not have moderators LOL.

13. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Well its a valid question. If the perimeter is of
    wood and cant be drilled, how do you get the cables
    to drop IN the wall?

How can you say stick to guitar? I only just got
    qualified and am learning more and learning where to
    drill and not to drill. If I were messing up after
    years and years, then you could say that, but not now
    when I'm just starting.

Alright Ant sorry mate..I presume you mean drilling down the wall plate and going into the cavity..I have done this..dont worry about it.

14. Ant1981

Ant1981 New Member

No, these forums do not have moderators, otherwise advance and another certian person would not be here.

Dont know what its called JP. But the wooden perimeter where the beams are fixed to. If you aparrantly cant drill the beams(when I've seen this done many times), how can u drill that perimeter?

15. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

The wallplates sit on top of the inner leaf/wall and on almost no occasion would it be necessary to go through them for wires.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

16. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Well if it was like me mams bungalow.. I had to get an aerial cable down in to the cavity (plasterboard cavity) and the only way was to drill through the plate on top of the plasterboard cavity wall (drywall). So I drilled straight through the plate..absolutely no worries.

17. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Things get distorted through typing messages to each other sometimes..what would be nice is if we could meet up (subject to being local) and then having a walk around the jobs we have done. My ex customers are very receptive and would not mind me taking someone around on a tour of their property and explaining exactly what has been done..I think this is the best way.

18. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

And to boot....all relevant certifications would be produced.

19. The Trician

The Trician New Member

"how do you get it down the wall if you people say you can't drill the wood? As the perimeter will be made of wood with the beams attatched to it."

You wouldn't - You'd persuade the customer that they cannot have the light switch where they want it by explaining the building regs to them.
    In any case, it would be rare to have to do drop a switch pair down in such a place. Usually, there are windows or internal dividing walls below.

TT

20. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

16mm hole..to drop a switch cable..canne do..yeh like heck.