Do I just need to clean out my Fernox TF1 Heating Magnetic Filter or do I need a power flush?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Nikki Hughes, Dec 11, 2020.

1. Nikki Hughes

Nikki Hughes New Member

Hi all,
    I am new to this forum but thought I would give it a try and see if I can get some good advice before spending a fortune unnecessarily :)...
    Been noticing that radiators downstairs are not getting very hot like the upstairs rads. Seem to be warmer at the top and cooler at the bottom, but even the top on some is only luke warm. Looked up the problem on the net and seems to be pretty unanimous that its a problem with Sludge build up. Had someone come round today to have a look and he pointed out that we have a Fernox TF1 Heating Magnetic Filter installed.....which I had no idea, so it turns out we obviously haven't cleaned this out since moving in which was July 2018, so over 2 years....and who knows when it was cleaned out before that. So, the plumber suggested that we do that which I am going to attempt this weekend, but he also said that if it is full of sludge it doesn't mean that once cleaned it will all of a sudden have a positive impact on the heating system and would take a long time to improve so suggested I still go ahead with the power flush if I want to be warm this winter. So, just want some advice please on this...….will cleaning the filter out this late on make a difference? and if so, how long do you think before a difference is noticeable? If I have to get the flush done, then that's what I will do but don't want to waste £500 if its not needed. I have no idea about any of this, am not in any trade, am absolutely clueless (didn't even know I had the filter afterall!!) I really haven't got a clue LOL, just thought I would post this on here where all you lot who do actually know what your talking about might be able to help! :)

2. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

Empty out the filter, add some Sentinel X400 while you're at it and allow that to circulate in the system for a few weeks. Then see what comes out of the filter. You should then flush the system through.

Do you have a header tank in the loft or filling loop for a pressuriesed system?

3. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

Sounds like a balancing issue.
    Could be some sludge build up I guess.
    If you turn all the upstairs radiators off what happens to the downstairs ones?

4. Nikki Hughes

Nikki Hughes New Member

Hi Teki, thanks for your response.....I am going to empty the filter at the weekend and see what I can find.....how do I add Sentinel X400? All seems pointless though if I am going to need to get the system flushed anyway afterwards as you suggest?

5. Nikki Hughes

Nikki Hughes New Member

Thank you for your response...….I haven't done that, will do that now and see what happens....what this space :)

6. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

Where you dose the X400 depends on whether you have a feeder tank in the loft or if the system is sealed, hence my question about the filling loop.

The point of adding the X400 and leaving it for a couple of weeks is to loosen sludge that has built up in radiators. I and others on this forum have had good success with it.

7. Nikki Hughes

Nikki Hughes New Member

Believe it or not I have no idea if we have a feeder tank in the loft!! Never been up there....we have loads of eaves space that we use for storage so haven’t needed to get up there. Will find out...

8. Nikki Hughes

Nikki Hughes New Member

So have turned off all the rads upstairs and the downstairs rads definitely feel hotter but still cooler at the bottom?

9. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

Do the flow and return pipes at the radiators both get hot?
    If they do then you definitely have sludge in the radiators.
    There’s a couple of ways to deal with this but it depends on your diy skills.
    What make/model boiler do you have?

10. Nikki Hughes

Nikki Hughes New Member

My DIY skills are non existent! only one rad pipe seems to be hot with the other just like warm. My boiler is a worchester greenstar 40 cdi convention.

11. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

If there is a TRV on the radiator, unscrew the head and check the pin moves freely by pressing down on it with the flat blade of a screwdriver.

It seems as though you have quite a lot of sludge in the system. Either inspecting what comes out of the TF1 or inspecting inside the header tank will confirm this.

As you've said your DIY skills are non-existant, it may be best to employ a plumber.

12. Nikki Hughes

Nikki Hughes New Member

Thanks Teki, I am happy to employ a plumber just wanted to make sure I’m not paying out for a problem that either doesn’t exist or is the wrong problem.....really appreciate your help it gives me a bit more knowledgeable so that when I’m taking to a plumber I don’t sound like a total push over!!

13. Nikki Hughes

Nikki Hughes New Member

Ok so I’ve just attempted to clean out my Fernox TF1 filter and I’m stuck already!! The bottom valve won’t budge and it’s in the most difficult position where we can’t even get to it to get a real good grip!! Have attached a photo. Can anyone give me any advice on how to loosen the valve or what tool would get in their to do the job? Don’t want to have to get a plumber in just for this bit! thank you

Attached Files:

14. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

When you say bottom valve I assume you mean the bottom red isolation valve and not the drain valve, if so can you not get a mole wrench on one of the lugs and just move it slightly to start breaking it open

15. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

The drain valve often seizes up a little. Try a pair or wide nosed pliers on the nut. The key on the back of the cap can then be used to open/close the drain valve as normal.