Do i need a check valve for basin tap ?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Mohammad, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Mohammad

Mohammad New Member

Hi
    I just have replaced my hot and cold water taps with one mixer tap. And used compression flexi hoses to connect my 15mm copper pipes to the tap pipes.
    it says in the catalogue to use check valves with those compression flexi hoses, but i have already fixed my new tap. Now my question is do i need to have those check valves fixed since it is a basin tap. I have a gravity fed water system. So my hot water comes from the cylinder and the cold is direct, means i dont have a tank for the cold water.

2. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Yes, reason being is that a mixer tap ideally needs both Hot & Cold delivered at the same pressures.

If not then the higher pressure cold supply will force the lower pressure Hot supply back down the Hot supply pipe when the tap is open in a mixed position thus the reason for the check (One way valve)

:)

3. Mohammad

Mohammad New Member

As i am using the tap now, I am just turning a bit of cold and at least double the amount of hot water, and still getting the right tempreture that i want. IsĀ  that the only problem with the pressure being wronlgy balanced ? I mean if i can adjust the balance by using the cold slighty less, I am fine with that, rather than having to put in the valve right here and now. Will put it in when i next time are about to do something with the pipes again :)

4. Hi, you may be managing ok now but if you don't fit the valve you are likely to get problems in the future or even with someone using the tap that isn't aware of "the knack" of using it. The mains water will back fill into the hot water cistern and then into the cold storage cistern through the tap with out the said valve fitted. Incidentally without the vale fitted it contravenes water byelaws. Hope that helps you.