Do I need certification for this work?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by SootyIsMyCat, Feb 26, 2021.

1. SootyIsMyCat

SootyIsMyCat New Member

I replaced GU10 lights with LED spotlights in my bathroom recently, and replaced the towel rail (like for like).

This was about 6 months ago and all is well.

I assumed this would be fine but just read about Part P regulations. I think I’m okay given it’s all like for like, but just asking to be sure - do I need to get this work certified?

2. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

Were the LED spotlights rated for the zone you installed them in?

3. SootyIsMyCat

SootyIsMyCat New Member

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
  4. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Now you've opened admitted the details of this heinous offence you should be expecting a visit by the authorities. It could be tomorrow, next week or even next year, but they will come.
    I'd go and hand yourself in asap, as most can't handle the stress of it all.;)

Joking aside, dont worry about part P, it's rollicks and is rarely enforced. If you are genuinely concerned that the work you've carried out isn't up to scratch them get a spark round to check it.
    Otherwise leave as is.

5. SootyIsMyCat

SootyIsMyCat New Member

Thanks, puts my mind at ease a bit. I can’t see that much could go wrong honestly (simple stuff - the electrician I’d usually call actually told me to do it) but this installation that I’ve been happy with for 6 months has now got me stressed out!

longboat likes this.
  6. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

7. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

Do it yourself, but do it by the book...

On the million to one chance that building control come by, you got an electrician to do it, but he didn't send you any paperwork and you paid in cash.

;)

Dean DeLuca likes this.
  8. Dean DeLuca

Dean DeLuca Member

:)