Do I need two consumer units?

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by MaccaThe Merlin, Feb 7, 2021.

1. MaccaThe Merlin

MaccaThe Merlin New Member

Anyone know why I suddenly need a second consumer unit for three bedroom House?

I have not changed anything, nor added anything in 30 years?

Any advice is extremely appreciated.

Thank you!

2. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

Who says you do?!

3. sparky steve

sparky steve Screwfix Select

Your question is vague, more info needed.

4. MaccaThe Merlin

Thank you for your reply.

I had an EICR report regarding the electrical installation condition done and it was reported as remedial work to be done.

5. MaccaThe Merlin

Thanks for replying.

A qualified electrician carrying out an inspection of the electrics.

6. BiancoTheGiraffe

What reason did they give?

7. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

Post up the EIRC or bits of it so we can see what’s said or maybe a pic of the CU ( yeah I know some people call it a fuse board). Tbh give us a clue. Any clue would help....

8. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

Just to be clear, are they saying you need a 2nd one, i.e. the installation needs to have two present...

Or are they saying you need "another one", i.e. one that is different to the one you currently have... A replacement.. so you'll still only have one, but a different one to what you currently have?

Cando

9. MaccaThe Merlin

From the report that produced after the inspection I was given a quote for the remedial work that needs doing to bring my electrical installations up to scratch. On the quote it reads:

Recommended for 5 years next due date due to age of installation supply & install 2 x replacement 18th edition RCBO consumer unit with a surge protection device. £900.

Which I assume refers to two consumer units.

Thank you.

10. MaccaThe Merlin

Thanks for your reply.

I will do this and post asap.

Thank you.

11. BiancoTheGiraffe

Do you have Economy 7 heating?

12. MaccaThe Merlin

I do not have Economy 7 heating.

Heating supplied from boiler source via some radiators and warm air flow system (comes via ducting built in to walls).

Thank you.

13. MaccaThe Merlin

Pics from report. Apologies for not so good quality. May have to send them separately as the Screwfix server is not allowing me to upload them all together. Struggling to upload the four pics from the report all together or individually and keep getting message shown in pic. I will keep trying as I am no expert at this sort of thing. Thank for your patience.

Attached Files:

14. MaccaThe Merlin

Got it this time.

Attached Files:

15. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

Something else that may help understanding what's going on here...
    Why was the report commissioned? Is it with a view to renting the property out, or did you just want to get it checked over?
    Cando

16. MaccaThe Merlin

I seem to be attracting more questions than answers. I may be in a position to rent and a friend recommended the EICR as a good start.

Now can anyone tell me if I need two consumer units for my three bed house and if so, the reason/ why please? Or will one unit suffice?

Thank you.

17. BiancoTheGiraffe

None of us has been in your house, so it's very difficult to say why you've been told that!

Have you asked the electrician who told you that you need two?!

18. MaccaThe Merlin

I have emailed electrician and left voicemail message but not heard back hence I thought I would try Screwfix Community.

Shame that I am unable to find out on here.

Not to worry.

19. Dave_C

Dave_C Member

It may help if you post a photo of your existing consumer unit, and the surrounding area. If you can, try not to reduce the photo size quite so much.

What's important is what the EICR classes as a "C2" (or C1). This is hard to see from your photos - could you perhaps just list them?

There are probably two questions - why does your CU need replacing, and why replacing with two CUs.

The reason you're not getting a quick answer is because we don't have all the information the electrician who undertook the EICR had.

20. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

its a bit more than a friend recommended its a good place to start. Its a legal requirement for you to have the EIRC and pass it to your tennant, along with an annual gas safety check if you have a gas appliance.

the reason you are getting more questions than answers is that you've given no useful information. For example, my house has three consumer units and there is very good reason why but without saying why everyone's going to say " that's odd"