Do I need zone valves?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Mat1, Nov 22, 2020.

1. Mat1

Mat1 New Member

We've just had a Vaillant 830 installed with radiators upstairs and a single zone ufh manifold downstairs. Plumber can't do the wiring so I'm trying to figure out what's going on before I get someone else in.

Everything I've read tells me I should be seeing 2 zone valves but this isn't the case.

Without the zone valves how are our 2 thermostats going to work??

Attached Files:

2. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

You need zone valves.
    Are you sure they’ve not been fitted?

3. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

Could you post a photo of your UFH manifold, there might be a zone valve built in?

4. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

Could be but the radiators would heat when the underfloor is on

5. Mat1

Mat1 New Member

That's the only pipe that is exposed near the boiler so I don't think so!

Attached Files:

6. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

Or when the UFH is off and no zone valve for the radiators at present!

7. Mat1

Mat1 New Member

Can't see anything..

8. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

Hmm, next question is your plumber Gas Safe Registered?

9. Mat1

Mat1 New Member

Allegedly :O

10. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

Also, where is your electricity meter? It seems quite far from your consumer unit? Is that just a temporary location?

11. Mat1

Mat1 New Member

Electricity meter is outside, front of house. That consumer unit is old, but the new one will be a bit closer to the manifold.

12. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Hi
    It does look like you need 2 zone valves, one for rads upstairs and the other for ufh,

also you can fit actuators to control the 4 ufh zones,

zone valve is very easy to wire up, a lot easier than mid position, most installer or electricians and capable of wiring it all up, it’s just some fitters don’t like doing the ‘electrics’

good luck
    peter

13. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

Hopefully you have a switch fuse after the meter?

It looks like you have a good length of armoured cable to the consumer unit and could probably be shortened to the new location.

14. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

Seems strange that they haven't at least been plumbed in?

15. Mat1

Mat1 New Member

Thanks mate, where would these be installed? If the valves aren't present does that mean everything is currently on one loop?

16. Mat1

Mat1 New Member

Yeah we do, cost a bomb to move my mains!

17. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Hi
    At some point, the flow pipe will have a tee fitted and one will feed the rads and one feed the ufh,
    So one 2 port zone valv on each pipe,

consideration must be given to the return pipe work ,

A experienced fitted will soon figure it out !

Peter

18. Mat1

Mat1 New Member

Ok so looking at the pipework in those pics that tee is probably underneath my newly tiled bathroom floor. :mad:

Shouldn't he have Tee'd off right near the boiler so it's actually near the wiring box etc?

19. Mat1

Mat1 New Member

Before I have a panic attack at the thought of ripping out the entire bathroom, can I fit one zone valve next to the manifold for the UFH and use programmable TRVs for the upstairs rads?

20. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

The zone valves don’t need to be next to each other.
    One could be at the manifold and the other could be on the pipe that goes to upstairs but before it splits to any radiators.The cables would just get extended.
    This ain’t ideal though as it can make fault finding difficult for others in the future especially if you move out and the valves are hidden away.
    Also that magnetic filter is in the incorrect place.

Mat1 likes this.