Do I really need three heating pumps?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Yetanotherdave, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Yetanotherdave

Yetanotherdave New Member

Hi,

Just had 2 x Ideal Classic LXFF boilers replaced with 2x Worcester Greenstar systems on what was a standard feed and expansion heating system. As part of the installation the installer removed to old F&E tank but not the pump so I now 3 including the pumps including one in each of the boilers.

Spoke to Worcester Bosch and they said that the old pump will compete with the boiler pumps so should be removed, I've put this to the installer and he's offered to disconnect the power but not remove it

The question is, is this acceptable or will a non functioning pump impede the flow of water through the system?

Many thanks

2. Heat

Heat Well-Known Member

Yes, a pump will impede the flow of water to some extent. If you don’t need it, why leave it?

just pumps likes this.
  3. kiaora

kiaora Well-Known Member

Hi
    Do you have a low loss header?

Regards
    Peter

4. just pumps

just pumps Active Member

A non functioning pump will be a restriction of the water flow. Might even impact on the boiler warranty (?).

5. Yetanotherdave

Yetanotherdave New Member

Hi Peter,

Worcester Bosch asked that too and no low loss header fitted. The problem now is that to remove the pump and fit one we'll need to drain the system again so should have been done when the boilers were installed.

6. kiaora

kiaora Well-Known Member

Hi
    If the installation is quite recent, it’s not all bad.

It’s good to run system and drain again, clean filter and give the boiler the best chance of running with a clean system, ok you have to add a bit more inhibitor, but as mr Punch says, “that’s the way to do it!”

Regards
    Peter

7. DaveF

DaveF Member

I would very certainly remove the pump. It will impede the flow. Basically it will be rotating with the flow. Does your plumber have the parts to make up a replacement for the pump that he can attach to the gate valves? That way you don't even need to drain the system.